Goulash Recipes

Category Stew
This traditional main dish from Hungary is well suited for crockpot cooking. This page contains goulash soup recipes.

Dutch oven cooking at its very best. The recipe is one that my Mother always made for Tuesday evening supper when I was a child. Tuesdays were also Ironing Days, following Wash Days on Mondays. Our ironing board was set up in the kitchen so that Mother could watch her food as it cooked while she ironed. My sister and I sat at the kitchen table and cut out paper dolls. So many memories to savor.

Directions:

In a Dutch oven or large pot, saute the ground beef over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Break up the meat as you stir. Drain to remove all grease and return to pot.

Continue cooking for 5 more minutes to brown meat slightly as it gives it so much great flavor if the meat caramelizes a little.

Add the onions and garlic and saute until they are tender, about 5 minutes. Add water, along with the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, soy and Worcestershire sauces. Stir well.

Add paprika, bay leaves, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and stir, then taste to correct seasonings. If adding corn, do so now. Place a lid on the pot and allow this to cook over low heat for about 30 minutes so that flavors "marry".

Add the elbow macaroni, stir well, return the lid to the pot, and simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes until pasta is done. Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves, and allow the mixture to sit about 15 minutes more before serving.

Serve with hot Italian bread and a green salad.

Servings: 8-10
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time
60 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My Mother's recipe with a few "tweaks" of my own which suited my family's tastebuds. My Mother cooked to please my Father, and we kids either ate it or did without. Today, mothers are a bit more lenient, and do their best to please everyone. The recipe makes enough for a large, healthy family with growing children.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Easy and fast weeknight meal

• 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 diced onion
  • 1 small can pork and beans
  • 1 Tbsp prepared mustard
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1. Brown ground beef with diced onion.
  2. Add all other ingredients and cook on low for about 5 minutes.
  3. Serve with cole slaw and cornbread.

• 1 small onion
  • 1/2 medium green pepper
  • 1 large bulk pork sausage
  • 1 (16 oz.) can tomatoes
  • 1 cup uncooked macaroni
  • 1/2 cup tomato juice or water
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. chili powder

Directions:

Coarsely chop onion and green pepper. Cook sausage, onion, and pepper until meat browns; break up sausage as it cooks. Drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients; cover. Simmer 20 minutes; stir often. 4-5 servings.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Add water to frozen hamburger and cook over medium heat. Once the hamburger is no longer frozen, and the 3 cups of water starts to boil, add macaroni noodles, and stir it quite a bit. Then add tomato puree and salt and pepper to taste.

Goulash is one of the national dishes of Hungary. The simple stew consists of meat, noodles and vegetables, flavored with paprika. This guide contains recipes for Hungarian goulash.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Very easy, very cheap, and kids love it! Fry the hamburger meat until it is no longer pink, season with salt and pepper while cooking.

Brown beef and onion with whatever spices you enjoy (I use garlic salt and Italian herbs). Boil macaroni noodles as directed on package.

Drain noodles. Mix in beef and onions. Pour in tomato juice, mix and enjoy!

This is very easy and kid friendly. Also a very quick to fix meal.

A hearty Hungarian inspired soup with meat, veggies and noodles. This guide contains recipes for goulash soup.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Beef goulash has a variety of origins, most notably Hungry, and consequently ingredients. It is often seasoned with paprika and may have sour cream added to this hearty meat and vegetable stew.

This page contains ground beef goulash recipes.

A hearty weeknight dinner using a can of pork and beans as the base. This guide contains a recipe for pork and beans goulash.

This page contains American chop suey recipes. Using up those odds and ends in your refrigerator, you can create a unique main dish.

Cook onion and celery in margarine until tender. Add ground beef. Add salt, pepper and oregano. Brown meat and drain. Boil noodles in 2 qts. of lightly salted water for 8 minutes.

Mix ingredients together and bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Chop onion. Saute' in butter. Add meat, salt, pepper and paprika. Brown meat. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Sprinkle meat mixture with flour. Add water and continue simmering. Seasoning may be adjusted at this time.

Mom called this goulash she got it off radio in the 1940's. 1 lb. ground beef and 1 medium onion cooked 'till beef is browned and chopped onion is clear.

Recipe for Chinese Goulash. Melt butter in skillet. Cook onion till tender. Add broth, heat till boils. . .

I would like to get a cheap and easy recipe for goulash. Thanks.

R from Indianapolis, Indiana

Answers

1/2 lb. to 1 lb. ground beef
(depending on family size )
1 box elbow macaroni
1 spaghetti sauce your choice (I like the Vegetable)
1 can tomato sauce

Besides Google...here's my favorite.

Equal parts spaghetti sauce and cranberry jelled (or whole fruit) sauce.

I use 2 lbs turkey burger, cooking it first. Some onion powder, s/p, and garlic powder. I throw in a small can of mushroom pieces, and some chopped black olives if you like them.

Mix with the right amount of mac. and you have a sweeter tasting goolash. I love this because it's not so "tomatoey"...

By Helen Wine (Guest Post)

1 lb hamburger
1 onion chopped
1 can kidney beans undrained
1 16 oz can tomatoes OR tomato sauce
salt,pepper, garlic salt,sugar to taste
dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 cup cooked egg noodles

Cook onions and hamburger together. Add beans,tomatoes and seasoning. Simmer for about 30 min. Add noodles before serving. Serve with garlic toast and salad. Delicious!

My husband came up with this back in the early 70's when we were stationed in Oklahoma and money was very tight.Brown 1 LB. hamburger ( or turkey burger nowdays), chopped onion, 1 can dark red kidney beans( NOT drained). Cube and boil any amount of potatos you wish. After all ingredients done,drain potatos leaving alittle of the water in. Add meat,onion and beans and simmer for about 15 minutes. Enjoy! To stretch, you can add in a can of light kidney bean and/or a can of whole kernal corn. Add some cornbread and you have a cheap and tummy warmin' meal.

By (Guest Post)

I've been cooking this goulash for over 20 years. You can easily half the recipe if your family is small or you don't like eating leftovers.

Easy Skillet Goulash

1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 (16 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes (cheap brand)
2 (15 oz.) cans red kidney beans (cheap brand)
1 cup macaroni (cheapest brand)
1 tsp. salt (or to suit your taste)
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
dash pepper

Optional: add canned or frozen corn

Brown ground beef and onion in a large skillet, drain excess fat. Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered 30 to 40 minutes, or until macaroni is cooked and tender, stirring occasionally. 8 servings.

Ingredients
1 lb. hamburger
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can corn
package macaroni and cheese (or leftover macaroni and cheese or your own homemade macaroni and cheese)
chopped onion (opt)
Directions
Cook hamburger, add onion, drain and keep in skillet. Add tomatoes and corn. Stir in cooked macaroni and cheese. Heat again until all is bubbly and hot.
Very simple and delicious

Source: This recipe is one my mom came up with using her leftovers. Macaroni and cheese was served at least once a week and she was/is excellent at stretching meals and using leftovers. We would have buttered bread with this as well.

By Shirley from Henderson, NV

By Alicia (Guest Post)

I make mine with cheap ingredients and everyone loves it.

2 pounds of Shell noodles
2 pounds of Hamburger
1 Large can of Tomato Sauce
2 6 oz cans of Tomato Paste
1 "squirt" of Ketchup
16 oz of Cheese
Salt and Pepper

Brown the HAMBURGER in a skillet with SALT and PEPPER then drain off the grease. Boil NOODLES in water until almost done, they will cook the rest of the way when putting the rest of the ingredients together.

Mix HAMBURGER and NOODLES together with both cans of TOMATO PASTE and half of the TOMATO SAUCE add the KETCHUP and CHEESE. Mix together. If you find that the Goulash looks like it needs a little more sauce then add it, I have found it depends on the brand of things I buy per how much I need to add.

Happy Cookng!

By crystal (Guest Post)

1 lb. ground hamburger meat
1 box elbow macaroni
1 can tomato sauce
1 can corn (drained)
1/2 box velvetta cubed

Cook hamburger in large skillet, boil macaroni noodles and drain. Mix hamburger, corn, macaroni and tomato sauce, heat over medium while adding cheese stir till melted. Add salt and pepper.

By Laura (Guest Post)

- hamburger, browned (season w/ dried onion & garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste)
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 C hot water
- 1 packet chili mix (you know, like you find with the sauce and gravy packets)
- prepared noodles (we like Rigatoni)

brown burger, drain noodles, mix hot water, soup and chili seasoning together; add to burger & noodles. VERY good. We like to serve with coleslaw ... sounds odd but it's good.

By lizzy (Guest Post)

Wow, no one makes it like I do!

1lb lean ground beef
pasta (I like elbows or rigatoni)
1 can tomato soup
1 can diced tomatoes
chopped onion (I like vidallia the best)

3 Ingredient meal feeds an army :)

1 lb of bacon cut up and fried drain fat
1 pkg elbow noodles cooked and drained
1 can of hole pealed tomatoes cut up keep juice
salt and pepper to taste
mix all together and done

Does anyone have a recipe for hamburger goulash?

By Rachelle

Ingredients

• 1 lb. hamburger
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 package macaroni and cheese (or leftover macaroni and cheese or your own homemade macaroni and cheese)
  • chopped onion (opt)

Directions

Very simple and delicious

By Shirley from Henderson, NV

Answers:

My Mom's Goulash

I so think this is what my parents used for goulash as well! Had it last Christmas at their house and my kids loved it! They couldn't find the recipe. Thanks so much! (09/16/2008)

By carrieinoh

Ingredients

• 1/2 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
  • 1 box elbow macaroni
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cans tomato paste
  • garlic and onion powders - optional
  • salt and pepper

Directions

Boil macaroni according to package and drain. Meanwhile, brown ground beef seasoning with salt, pepper, and a shake or two of garlic and onion powders. Add tomato paste to ground meat and mix, sometimes I add a splash of water to thin it out. Add macaroni to ground meat and combine, adjust salt and pepper to taste.

This serves my family of four with leftovers and they love it!

By Catherine from Brownstown, MI

Quick, Cheap and Easy Goulash - Under $5

I make something very close to this, but I add a can of tomatoes, chili powder and some kidney beans. Also very good, cheap, and filling! (12/13/2007)

By Jennie

I make something similar by preparing a box of macaroni and cheese and cooking the hamburger with chopped onion and adding stewed (diced) tomatoes. We love it. (05/02/2008)

By Sarah