Mango Torshi (Mango Pickles)
Torshi are Middle Eastern pickled vegetables. In this popular recipe, mangoes are pickled in a vinegar mixture with aromatics, herbs and spices. It makes a deliciously sour side dish that is sure to be a new favorite.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Torshi is a Persian pickle very similar to chutney. Torshis go very well with any food, especially meats, stews and rice dishes. This mango torshi is sweet and savory. It goes well with everything. I even put it in my sandwiches.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 20-30 servings
- 2 mangos
- 1/2 medium onion, diced finely
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp coriander seed powder
- 1 tsp cumin seed powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek seed powder
- 1 inch of cinnamon stick
- 1 green chile chopped (if very hot, remove seeds)
- 1/2 whole lime
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- Add all ingredients, except for the lime juice to a pot. Bring to a boil. The reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Add lime juice during simmer.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes until everything has softened.
- The finished product should be almost smooth with some lumps. Cool completely and store in a clean glass jar. You can eat it straight away or even age it for weeks. Best kept in the fridge. Enjoy!