Manx Breed Information and Photos

Category Cat Breeds
These cats are striking in appearance because of their lack of tails, and are known to be good mousers. This guide contains Manx breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Manx is famous for its lack of tail. This medium-sized cat is sturdy and rounded with short front legs and long back legs. Its head is large and broad and the coat is either short, or semi-long and thick. They are striking in appearance, yet ordinary. There are four recognized categories of the Manx: The Rumpy (completely tailless), The Rumpy Riser (one, two or three vertebrae fused to the end of the spine, and giving the cat a "knob" where their tail would be), and The Longy (with almost a full-length tail).

History & Origin: The Manx is a centuries-old breed that developed naturally on the Isle of Man, in the Irish Sea between England and Northern Ireland. A spontaneous mutation probably occurred that resulted in the birth of a tailless kitten that survived and reproduced on the island. These cats are famous for being good mousers and are still kept by farmers living on the Isle.

Character & Temperament: The Manx is a bit of a devil and also a little bit of a clown. These lively cats are very intelligent and playful, and can be taught to fetch balls or walk on a lead. They are accomplished climbers and hunters and remain playful until an old age. Loving and affectionate, they get along well with other cats and dogs-and tend to develop an especially strong bond with one member of the family.

Color: All colors normally found naturally in European domesticated cats.

Coat Type: Manx have either a short-haired or a semi long-haired coat.

Grooming: In general, this breed's coat does not require a great deal of care in regards to grooming. Brush it once a week-more when shedding. Claws should be trimmed and ears cleaned only when necessary.

Health Considerations: Can carry genetic deformities such as Spina Bifida and cartilage weaknesses.

Trivia: As with all ancient breeds, it is surrounded by many fanciful stories, mostly about why it has no tail. One story suggests that the Manx has no tail because it is the result of mating between domestic cats and rabbits. Another claims a pair of Manx were the last two animals to board Noah's Ark and nearly missed the boat after insisting on one last mousing trip before the ship set sail. As they hopped aboard, Noah accidentally closed the ship's heavy door and severed their tails.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a solution to Manx diarrhea and their digestive problems. This is very common with the breed. Many vets do not see a Manx in their practice and when they do they are not certain how to deal with it.

They are known to have bowel problems and it stems from their shortened vertebrae. They can be sensitive to some foods and I do not recommend giving them milk.

I have had a lot of rescue experience with this breed and came across an old country vet who used Tylan powder in the very small caplets. This is by prescription only. But there are vet and pet pharmacies that will mix a dose for your cat's weight and even flavor it so the cat will accept it more readily.

It is tried and true. You may have to give it to your cat for a long period, or it may clear up in a couple of weeks. Depends on your cat. Be patient. And change vets if they have no experience with this breed. They are one of the most fascinating cats you will ever own or be owned by!

Source: Old time vet in Florida who had a lot of farm experience.

By LML from TX

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

One night just before lights out in January, I took this photo of 6 month old Wee Ian with my cell phone. Wee Ian is one of my 6 rescued Manx cats. I also live with his half brother Owen, and litter-mate Roslyn.

Wee Ian and his siblings came from a feral Manx mom in the California Central Valley. They were in a high kill shelter and just hours away from euthanasia. Roz and Wee Ian were just 7 weeks, and Owen was 5 months old. Seldom have I belonged to such a sweet, loving cat.

From day one, Wee Ian has had to be in the middle of what every project I am working on, whether it is scooping the litter box, trying to complete a painting, or making the bed. I can't say how many times I've done the dishes with him slung in my arms or over my shoulder, so he could watch.

Wee Ian has almost mastered playing fetch, and he likes to go for walks on a harness with Chloe Claws, also a Manx, and her dog, Willie the Wonder, a Corgi.

By Manxkity

White cat.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 25

Mr. Calhoun is a 6 years old Manx with a stubby tail, a bulls eye, and an orange and white coat. Calhoun and I became roommates, since I lived in my first place alone during my senior year of college. Our school colors were orange and white. The first cat rescue I checked had him - the perfect kitty for me with a stubby little tail, a gorgeous coat and feisty, but friendly personality!

Calhoun's favorite activity, like most kitties, is sleeping in odd and interesting places. He especially loves to get under the covers and his basket! But cuddling is a close second, which I adore! He loves to find a spot on your neck to purr and drool!

His favorite toy is the tab off the top of a fresh gallon of milk. I give him the tab off of every new gallon I open, so you can imagine there are quite a few around our house! He gets quite violent with them sometimes, and scoots them all around the house, batting them up in the air and carrying them around in his mouth.

Mr. Calhoun is awesome and he deserves to win for being so awesome. :) He makes my life happier, more interesting and meaningful. He is a precious little man who literally thinks he is a man!

By Lauren C.

Cat wearing hat with antlers.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 17

This is Chance. We think he is about 2 or 2 1/2 years old. His previous owners (how I detest that word) said he is a Manx, but in looking around I am more apt to say he is a Japanese Short-tail.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 18

Orange Blossom is a 4 month old Manx kitten. I have the mother, she had a small litter. He likes to run around the house, and play with his sister and mom! He is a special little critter, very loved.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Dancin' Girl is a 7 year old Manx. Six years ago, this little girl came down for food. She was at first eating the bread I threw out for the birds. I spotted her and took out some cat food, and she was so happy!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

They were rescued from the streets. They like to run and play with anything and everything.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

We've had Nemo since he was just a kitten. My kids picked "Nemo" and his brother "Margaret" from a litter of 5 kittens. They were both born without tails which made them very unique in the litter of 5 kittens. Nemo's hobbies are sleeping, eating, and snuggling then more sleeping and eating. He likes his catnip too!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

The mommy cat's owner went to a rest home, and my neighbor took the mom in and she had four kittens. They were all placed except for this one, who has a genetic disability.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

Chance is a 3 year old Japanese Shorttail/Manx Mix. I rescued Chance from a heartless "owner" (how I detest that title) who would not take him to the vet when he was hurt. I took him in and nursed him. I thought the name Chance suited him.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

He was found in a litter of 5 and raised from a tiny baby.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

My neighbor rescues kittens and puppies and older dogs. She had these three kittens from a lady who had to go to a rest home. I told her I would foster them until they could find a good home.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

Peaches and Pineapple are siblings that I rescued from an old dilapidated plant nursery that was for sale. They were only 7 weeks old at the time and have never been apart from each other. They are Manx cats and have no tails.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes