Meatless "Meatloaf" Recipe
Try this vegetarian loaf in place of a traditional meatloaf or for a special occasion. Your family and friends will love it. This page contains a meatless "meatloaf" recipe
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
We are slowly transitioning to a more vegetarian diet in our house. My mom found this recipe for vegetarian meatloaf. It has an amazing texture and tastes great!
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf
- 1 cup cashew nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup leeks, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 oz dried mushrooms, soaked in .5 cup warm water and finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon each freshly chopped parsley, thyme, and basil OR 1 tsp. each dried herbs
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup Grape Nuts cereal
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Toast the nuts on a baking sheet at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Soak dried mushrooms in 1/2 cup of warm water, until rehydrated, approximately 10 minutes.
- Roughly chop the cashews and walnuts. (Leave the pine nuts whole) and set aside.
- Finely chop leeks and mushrooms, both fresh and dried.
- Saute the leeks in butter until softened, but not brown. Add the garlic and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the chopped fresh and soaked mushrooms with the mushroom soaking liquid and cook over medium heat about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the hot mixture to a large mixing bowl and add the herbs, toasted nuts, brown rice, Grape Nuts, cottage cheese, eggs, and mix well.
- Butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish or loaf pan and fill with the mixture and bake for 60 minutes at 350 degrees F. The top should be firm and nicely brown, but not burned. Brush with tomato sauce or catsup for the final 20 minutes, if desired.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.