Meatless "Meatloaf"

We are slowly transitioning to a more vegetarian diet in our house. My mom found this recipe for vegetarian meatloaf. It has an amazing texture and tastes great!

Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes

Yield: 1 loaf

1. Toast the nuts on a baking sheet at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
  2. Soak dried mushrooms in 1/2 cup of warm water, until rehydrated, approximately 10 minutes.
  3. Roughly chop the cashews and walnuts. (Leave the pine nuts whole) and set aside.
  4. Ad

5. Finely chop leeks and mushrooms, both fresh and dried.
  6. Saute the leeks in butter until softened, but not brown. Add the garlic and reduce the heat to medium.
  7. Add the chopped fresh and soaked mushrooms with the mushroom soaking liquid and cook over medium heat about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  8. Transfer the hot mixture to a large mixing bowl and add the herbs, toasted nuts, brown rice, Grape Nuts, cottage cheese, eggs, and mix well.
  9. Butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish or loaf pan and fill with the mixture and bake for 60 minutes at 350 degrees F. The top should be firm and nicely brown, but not burned. Brush with tomato sauce or catsup for the final 20 minutes, if desired.

Anonymous

Yea, that's way to expensive to buy in Hawaii for me... So not thrifty fun.

Cashews and pine nuts are expensive in many areas, a less expensive nut is an okay replacement. It changes the flavor only slightly. This recipe is labor intensive (as are most vegetarian recipes). Perhaps someone could come up with less labor intense recipes for those of us who are sick and must eat vegetarian, but just don't have the energy to work on a meal for very long? I really struggle to find a simple but sustainable diet.

I imagine this recipe would be delicious, but...also, very expensive to make. Nuts are not cheap and pine nuts are very expensive and difficult to find east of the Mississippi.

For those of us who come here to find frugal recipes, this would not be one of them.

It's not so expensive if you already eat meatless. All of these nuts I always have on hand, because they're a regular part of my diet.

This sounds delicious, can't wait to try it.

Anonymous

I'll have to pass on trying this recipe because even at the bulk food store where I live the price of every type of nut has doubled (and in some cases tripled) in just the last year and a half :-(

Nekocat, Google "vegetarian meatloaf using lentils". There are oodles of tasty and easy recipes for it plus lentils are quite inexpensive and packed full of protein, iron, calcium and vitamin c.

You can substitute many different types of nuts to save money. You can also increase the amount of rice and decrease the nut amount.

It would be a great recipe to use up any nuts leftover from the holidays too.

This is NOT vegetarian with butter,eggs and cottage cheese!

Editor's Note: Recipes that exclude eggs and dairy would be considered to be vegan instead of vegetarian here at ThriftyFun.

Disappointed that this isnt really vegetarian-eggs, butter and cottage cheese are animal products...sorry.

I would substitute more rice.maybe a cooked wild rice for a cup of the nuts. We are not vegetarians but try to eat meatless 2-3 times a week.

Cannot wait to try this recipe. I make chili using cooked wild rice for ground chuck. It is great. Substitute 3 cups of cooked wild rice for a pound of hamburger.

Comment on Marieannes reply. This recipe is fine for Vegetatians, my eldest daughter would love this but my youngest daughter, who is a Vegan would not. She would have to substitute the dairy products and then could eat it. Shall be trying this recipe myself as I like the ingredients. Nuts here (Ireland) are very expensive too but a treat now and then is nice.

This recipe is vegetarian. It is not vegan.

Vegetarians avoid meat, fish and poultry but often include animal products such as dairy and eggs in their diet.

Vegans avoid meat, poultry, fish, dairy, eggs, and other animal products such as honey.

Personally, I don't see the point in changing traditional high-meat meals, such as meatloaf and burgers into vegetarian options. It is much easier to make non-meat foods that were never intended to have meat in them, and then you won't feel like comparing the taste to the original.

Here are a few good vegetarian (but not vegan) options:

Baked potato with cheese,
stuffed dates,
potato salad,
eggs Florentine,
corn muffins,
corn chowder,
cheese quesadillas with chopped tomatoes and sour cream,
cottage cheese with honey,
Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries,
open-face sandwich with whole wheat bread, tomato, and melted cheddar cheese,
tomato soup with toasted cheese sandwich,
sweet potato fries,
spaghetti with tomatoes and olive oil

A good idea is to get a cookbook from World War II. There were meat shortages and many recipes contained protein substitutes.