Medicare and Blue Cross Blue Shield Secondary Insurance

I just got Medicare Parts A & B and it will be starting soon. My secondary insurance is BCBS Federal PPO. My question is should I keep standard coverage or get basic coverage?

If you can afford it, keep the coverage you have. A lot of doctors don't take Medicare, at least where I live. If you need a lot of tests or visits to a non- Medicare doctor, you will be glad your secondary coverage with better benefits is in place.

This is a very important decision and many times cannot be reversed so be sure to check it out very carefully before making your decision. I do not know of any doctors in my area that do not take Medicare (but MANY are now refusing to take Medicaid patients).

Medicare only pays 80% and they have a high yearly deductible. Is the BCBS Federal PPO from your job (or spouse)? Would it be possible for you to go to your local BCBS office and ask them to help you with the difference in the standard and basic coverage since you have Medicare? Telephone does not always seem to work with this type of question.
Usually the policies have a place that you can compare the plans side by side and add Medicare - will your plans let you do that? Many of the BCBS federal plans have dental coverage and that may be valuable in the future. Also, you may want to be sure the plan you select will cover some rehab expenses as Medicare only covers a certain number of visits per year and if you have an accident or fall you may need more days/hours. Also, be sure they cover your Medicare deductible. A few extra dollars more a month may be a good investment.

Lots to consider so please do not take a general clerk's explanation - ask for a specialist.

Budget & Finance Health InsuranceJuly 11, 2017
🎉
🎄