Mexican Style Chicken and Rice
Your family will love this Mexican inspired delicious dinner option. This is a guide about Mexican style chicken and rice
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I lived and worked in Mexico for a number of years. During my stay in Mexico I was introduced to Mexican style cooking. One of my favorite dishes was cooked rice and chicken. Over the years I have revised the way I cook this dish. Now that I live in French Polynesia Tahiti it is difficult to find all the ingredients. Therefore, I have come up with a new recipe that is simple to make and easy to find all the ingredients.
Total Time: 45 Minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
- 8 pieces chicken (legs and thighs)
- 2 cups cooked long grain white rice
- 3 1/2 cup water
- 2 yellow onions
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white or black pepper
- 1 tsp Chinese hot chili sauce
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Defrost your chicken legs and thighs. Cut them in half.
- Clean and dice your onions. Place the diced onions in a small bowl.
- Clean and dice your garlic. Place the garlic in the bowl with your onions.
- Open the can of peeled tomatoes and add them to a small bowl. Cut the tomatoes into small pieces.
- In a wok, add your cooking oil. Heat the oil on high heat.
- Add the chicken to the wok.
- Cover the wok with a splatter screen. Brown the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and brown the other side.
- Remove the browned chicken from the wok and place on a plate.
- Add the onions and garlic to the wok.
- Sauté for 2 minutes on high heat or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the rice to the wok, and sauté the rice until it turns white.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce to the wok.
- Add the water to the wok and bring to a boil.
- Season the mixture with salt, pepper, and chili sauce.
- Place the pieces of browned chicken on top of the rice. Reduce the heat to low or simmer. Cover the wok and simmer slowly for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Dont stir the rice and chicken while cooking. I dont have a cover for my wok so I use the splatter screen and a cover from one of my Dutch ovens.
- After the rice is cooked, turn off the stove and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
May 16, 20160 found this helpful
Thank you so much. I'm sure you will find this easy to make and yes it is delicious.
May 14, 20160 found this helpful
This looks and sounds absolutely delicious. I've GOT to try it!
May 15, 20160 found this helpful
Looks delish! I will try this for tonight's supper! Thanks!
Read More Comments
May 16, 20161 found this helpful
Please let me know how you enjoyed this recipe. I make this simple meal twice a month. My family and friends love the simple taste and the rice.
In This Guide