Microwave Cheesy Potatoes with Onions
This is an easy recipe to prepare and cook in the microwave. It's a great dish to take to a pot luck dinner or to a friend or neighbor in need. It goes over very well, and you will come home with an empty dish. I cook it in the microwave in a 2 quart Pyrex dish that has a lid.
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 6 red potatoes
- 1 ½ sweet onions
- approximately 3 cups of grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper
- If you will be rushed preparing this, you can prepare the onions and cheese the night before. Cut onions into small pieces. Grate cheese.
- Wash potatoes. Do not peel the potatoes but cut out any blemishes. Dry potatoes with a paper towel.
- Cut 2 potatoes in quarters lengthwise.
- You will be making 3 layers of sliced potatoes, onions, salt and pepper, dabs of butter and cheese using 2 potatoes for each layer and 1/3 of the cheese and onions for each layer.
- Slice quarters into ¼ inch slices and place them in the bottom of a 2 quart Pyrex dish that has a lid.
- Spread 1/3 of the onions on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add a few dabs of butter.
- Sprinkle with a layer of cheese, approximately 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat the steps for layer 2 (two potatoes, onions, salt and pepper, dabs of butter and cheese).
- Repeat for the 3rd layer except DO NOT add cheese. It will be added after cooking.
- If you want a full dish, you will have to pile it above the rim of the dish. It will be piled high (it will cook down). Place cover on top of the potatoes and onions.
- Cook in microwave on high for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Check doneness with the point of a knife blade.
- When done, spread the remainder of the cheese on top. Microwave, uncovered, for 1 minute or until cheese is melted
- It's a great dish for family gatherings.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!