Moving a Duck Egg

We had a duck lay one egg in our bark at work 2 days ago. The egg was completely exposed to the elements. We hadn't seen the mother duck until today when she came looking for her egg. We assumed she abandoned the egg, so we picked it up with rubber gloves, placed it in a warm towel and laid it in the sun for warmth. The mother duck returned today, however we have her egg inside. If we place the egg back, will the mother return?

The egg requires higher more consistent temperatures to survive so is certainly dead now.

Anonymous

Not really sure if she'll take the egg back but I did hatch one with a heating pad before. The mother was killed by the neighbors dog & it was the only one left. You will have to roll the egg just as the mother would.

I have 4 abandoned duck eggs I have been caring for a week. Rough calculation we are on day 21. I have candled the duck eggs and there are live babies inside.

I have them in the original nest on a heating pad in a plastic bin with a bowl of water and a sponge soaked in water. Any suggestions or helpful hint would be greatly appreciated

I have 4 abandoned duck eggs I have been caring for a week. Rough calculation we are on day 21. I have candled the duck eggs and there are live babies inside. I have them in the original nest on a heating pad in a plastic bin with a bowl of water and a sponge soaked in water. Any suggestions or helpful hint would be greatly appreciated

Ducks lay "practice eggs" all over the place before they get around to building a nest. I don't know why.

You may return this egg to where you found it, but it may already be dead, depending on what temperature it reached while you had it in the towel or sitting in the sun. A certain level of heat initiates development of the duckling, and then to remove the heat will stop development so that the duckling will die. Incubation is not meant to begin until all the eggs have been laid and the mother is ready to incubate them for the full duration of time... it should not be started and stopped, or attempted with haphazard temperatures.

With ducks, the eggs are left exposed to the elements until all eggs are laid, and this does not harm them. All birds must lay their full clutch of eggs over several days, leaving the eggs exposed until they have completed their clutch and will then begin incubating. Next time, please leave the eggs where they are laid. Without an incubator set to the proper temperature and humidity, you are doing more harm than good, despite well-meaning intentions.