Moving a Zebra Finch Nest

Category Birds
When you have baby birds or a brooding couple be sure to wait to move them until the babies are out of the nest. This is a guide about moving zebra finch nests.

I bought a large aviary for my zebra finches. I have one couple with babies that are close to 2 weeks old and another couple that are sitting on eggs. Can I move these couples to their new aviary, they are in smaller cages right now, or should I wait until babies are out of the nest?

By Diana P.

Answers

Best Answer

Definitely wait. If you move them now, the parents may freak out and stop caring for them.

I have 2 finches and she has laid a clutch of 7. I was not expecting this and this clutch was laid in a very small hut. I (have) want to put the babies and eggs (whole nest) in a bigger hut (house). Should I not touch the nest? If I do will she not feed them and not hatch the remaining eggs? What will happen if I change this?

By Don