Mozzarella and Ham Chicken Thighs (GF)
I prefer recipes that are quick and easy to prepare but this one, I will have to say, is not simple, but it is so good! When I make it, I make a lot and freeze the leftovers. They are great to reheat later for an easy meal or lunch at work. They can be quickly reheated in the microwave or served crispy by heating them in the oven.
If you prefer to cook just a few, you will still need 1 egg and 1 cup of milk for the egg wash. Flour and bread crumbs can replace the GF Bisquick and Rice Chex, but I have to have it gluten free.
Source: A recipe I changed to make gluten free.
- 12 boneless chicken thighs
- oregano, salt and black pepper
- sun dried Julienne cut tomatoes in a jar
- sliced sandwich ham
- sliced Mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- approximately 1 cup Gluten Free Bisquick
- approximately 4 cups Gluten Free Rice Chex
- olive oil
- large tooth picks
- Crush the Rice Chex into crumbs.
- Drain the sun dried tomatoes.
- Using 3 containers, place Bisquick in the 1st one. Whisk milk and egg in 2nd one and put Rice Chex crumbs in 3rd one. Keep them in this order.
- Unroll each piece of chicken and flatten by using the edge of saucer or a meat mallet. Sprinkle each piece with salt, pepper and a little Oregano.
- Add sun dried tomatoes and a slice of ham then place cheese on one end. Don't overlap the edges of the chicken pieces.
- Roll chicken, starting with the cheese end, and secure together with heavy duty toothpicks. Prepare all of them and place on a plate to hold for the next step.
- Take one piece of chicken at the time. Roll in the Bisquick. Dip in the egg wash. Roll in the crushed Rice Chex and set it on a plate. Do each piece, adding more Bisquick and Rice Chex to the bowls as needed. Use Bisquick and Rice Chex sparingly.
- Fry chicken rolls in hot olive oil (360 F), uncovered, until browned on both sides. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Place chicken in 2 separate two quart Pyrex dishes.
- Bake 30-35 minutes at 325 F.
- To freeze: After they have cooled, remove the toothpicks and wrap each thigh in plastic wrap. Place them in Ziploc freezer bags and freeze.
- To reheat: Remove plastic wrap. Place frozen chicken in a baking pan and set it in a cold oven. Turn oven on and set temperature at 350 F. Bake 20-30 minutes or until hot and crisp. It tastes just like freshly baked.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.