Musty Basement Odor

My 1950s era basement has such a strong musty smell that it can be noticed on the first floor. The house has a waterproofing system on the walls and floor, and there is no moisture anywhere that is visible. The dehumidifier runs 24/7 on high. There are 2 floor drains, one used by the dehumidifier and a sump pump. Help! I can't stand the smell in my kitchen, which wafts up from the basement.

Best Answer

I have been successful at getting rid of musty odors by setting out bowls of straight white vinegar in such an area. had a friend who lived in the basement area of a very old house. he used the vinegar and it worked for him. took a few days. and to keep the odor away, the vinegar needs to be replaced as needed. also increase the fresh air intake.

Anonymous

Do this really work

I believe the musty odor is mildew & mold most likely from poor ventilation. Gassed build up causing the odor so unless you get rid of the source the problem will persist. A lot of things may mask the odor but not really eradicate it.

Maybe placing a fan to move the air AFTER the problem is remedied may help. If you can smell it on another level you might want to call in an expert. It wont go away by itself. Keep the dehumidifier on though.

Musty spelling 1950's basement

Just an older finished basement. Has a musty smell. Damp rid helps but costly. So I am looking for a home remedy to eliminate the odors.

My house is air tight and the lower level has a distinct musty smell. how can I get rid of it/ The house is 15 years old.

we have a very strong musty smell coming up from basement we want to get rid of

Anonymous

Make sure the drains have water in the trap or it may let him sewer gas that might be what you're smelling

Hello Joan,
did you ever fix the problem with the musty smell?