My Frugal Life: Saving Money is Fun

Tomatoes growing in a garden.I still live in the same house I did when my first child was born. That was 37 years ago. What does that have to do with anything? Well, at first it wasn't intentional; staying here I mean. With two lovely children and a small addition to the house, we never realized that an 1100 square foot house wasn't "big enough". Only now, in our opulent times do we realize its small size. However, we have chosen to not upsize, therefore in our last third of life, we will not need to downsize. This is the premise of my frugality; to not live as some kind of entitled person.

Because I am a stay-at-home person, I can save money on all kinds of things that working people probably don't have time for. For instance, I rarely use my clothes dryer. I actually have an old fashioned washline that spans my yard from the house to a tree. Of course I can't use it in the winter so I hang my clothes on a clothes horse or just over the bathtub and fixtures in my very hot lower level bathroom.

I set the thermostat very low and we have acclimatized ourselves to this; I put on a sweatshirt when I'm cool.

Grocery shopping is becoming a challenge with everything seemingly going up weekly. I look for half price stuff; even meat is OK close to the expiration date. Put it in the freezer or plan your meal around it that day. Oh, and on the topic of food, we almost never eat out. I love to cook, again, I have the time and even if I didn't I would make myself do it.

I have a vegetable garden. Again, quite a bit of work, but then you save twice because you don't need a gym membership! Freshly grown romaine and tomatoes are to die for. I often save vegetable peelings to make soup stock, then it goes into my compost.

I try to ride my bike or walk for small errands because I live in a small community. I have only once ever paid someone to do my nails; I believe. I cut my own hair and do my own manicures and pedicures. Sorry all you aesthetitions out there!

I love clothes and try to only buy things on sale. However, since what I like is not always on sale, I try to make all things work together. I needed a small silver belt to dress up a certain outfit and found that I had a necklace that worked fine. Some of my jewellry comes from thrift stores.

One place I do not like to cheap out on is gifts. I do not give gifts because it was on sale; I like to give something I know the person appreciates. And because I'm saving all this money, I guess I can do that!

I am working on a miniature doll house and my goal is to make as many of the furnishings from things around my house as I can. Did you know that little upside down screws can be candles and an acorn shell a wooden bowl?

Anyway, this is a small part of my frugal life and I hope it inspires you in some way.

By zyxw from Manitoba

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeAugust 6, 2020
👔
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/My-Frugal-Life-Saving-Money-is-Fun-1.html