Newfoundland - Breed Information and Photos

Category Newfoundland
Newfoundland
These furry, large companions are known for their excellent swimming ability. This guide contains Newfoundland - breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Newfoundland is a large breed of dog that is almost similar in appearance to a bear cub. This breed has a thick, strong coat, is a superb swimmer and is know for personifying loyalty and devotion. Despite the Newfoundland's imposing size, his docile, friendly nature makes him an ideal companion.

Group: Working Group

Purpose of Breed: Assist fishermen in hauling nets to shore

Country of Origin: Newfoundland, Canada.

Average Size: Ranges from 26-28 inches and 100 to 130 pounds depending on sex.

Color(s): Typically black or brown, also gray or white with black markings.

Coat Type: Flat, dense, strong hair that is slightly oily.

Grooming: This breed's coat needs to be groomed often to prevent matting. The coat should be bathed with plain water (no soaps) only when necessary to avoid drying out the oils that keep it water resistant. This breed requires standard care for eyes, pads and nails. Skin and ears should be checked regularly for parasites and irritation.

Exercise Needs: This is a moderately active breed of dog that requires plenty of daily exercise to stay mentally and physically healthy. They especially love swimming in calm waters. The Newfoundland should be walked on a lead and have access to a fenced yard in urban settings.

Temperament: The Newfoundland is one of the most loyal dog breeds. He is intelligent and sensitive-training with positive reinforcement works best. The Newfoundland becomes deeply attached to his owner and does not like to be separated from him or change owners. This breed is playful and trustworthy and enjoys the company of children.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to hip dysplasia, heart abnormalities, "growing pains" and skin problems.

Life Expectancy: Averages 8-10 years.

Trivia: The Newfoundland has the strength of size and lung capacity necessary to swim long distances-useful for helping rescue people in danger of drowning.

More Information: Newfoundland Club of America, Inc.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Steamer is a 5 year old Newfoundland. We waited three years on the breeder's wait list in Canada. We chose him because he kept following us around the pen and sitting on our feet. It was a no-brainer.

Comment Like this photo? 13

Your Pet's Age
Just celebrated his first birthday.

Your Pet's Breed
Newfoundland (Newfie)

How and when did you get your pet?
I feel in love with Newfies at age four when I saw Peter Pan. I wanted "Nana" to be my dog and nanny. After years of searching rescue sites with no luck, I had decided it was not meant to be. Three years ago, we ran into an old friend that had a Newfie. He told us he had purchased his dog from a breeder in the corner of the state. I have never paid for a dog and too many pets needed adopting, so that was that.

Two years later, I accidently found the same breeder on the internet while looking at rescue dog sites. They foster other dogs waiting for forever homes. I called the number and found that not only do they not run a puppy mill, but help as many dogs and horses as possible. The owner also graduated with my parents from high school 51 years ago.

On a whim I checked their website a few months later when we were going to be in the area to visit my family. They had a litter of seven puppies and they all had K names. We have seven children all with K names. It was a sign. Kennedy came to live with us a month later. He adopted us as his family and I think he is very happy with his selection. :)

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Newfie's are long distance swimmers. They are used by many Coast Guard and water rescue teams all over the world. Kennedy loves the water. He has three lakes to pick from here and he has been in them all, repeatedly. He has claimed our fish ponds as his splash area. Most days are spent laying over the air conditioning vents on our marble foyer in the summer eating ice. His winter was spent rolling in the snow from sun up to sunset.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Our precious puppy weighed 8 pounds when we met him, 19 pounds when he came to live with us, and a "tiny" 187 pounds on his first birthday!! My hubby is 6'5'', Kennedy and he are the same height now when Kennedy stands on his hind legs for kisses. He fits perfectly into our family!

Comment Like this photo? 6

Kala is an 8 month old Newfoundland. She was a birthday gift for my daughter's 13th birthday. According to my Mom, she likes to shed, whine, eat and sleep, but she also does some amazing tricks. She also likes to visit with the rabbit and Tucker, the horse.

Comment Like this photo? Yes