Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
My Aussie Shepherd enjoys eating the "fruit-like" berries that fall from live oak trees. Are they poisonous?What are the long term affects on her health? (The berries are soft like grapes.)
Yes they are poisonous, both the oak leaves and acorns and galls. They are not always fatal but can cause kidney failure and death from the kidney failure.
I would say yes. Some dogs get mildly ill, and others die.
Everyone has a different take on this, but I keep all things found on the streets and in the woods away from my dog as even if no other dog gets sick from it, he does. Also I worry that someone may have sprayed them with pesticides...which makes me even more nervous! Safety first with my fur child.
Here are some articles about these wacky galls: