Training AdviceDogs

Obedience Training Advice for a 6 Month Old Puppy

I have rehomed my American Bulldog and she is such a good girl. Although her previous home was a very chaotic environment with unstable people. She's basically house trained apart from the odd wee at night, sits down before crossing the road and knows all her basic commands. She is quite nibbly though and bites (not overly hard) and argues with me.

I've had an American bull dog before, but from a very small puppy so it was a bit easier in asserting myself as the leader and I am used to all the talking they do so am prepared for the odd talk back. I'm pretty sure she's trying to assert dominance with me though. Does anyone have any advice on dominance training for older pups that has worked for you?

I think because of her previous circumstances I have been so concentrated on settling her in and making her feel comfortable she's kind of took charge in her own mind. Also I am aware it will take a few more months to fully settle her into our home. She is very obedient and loving when she isn't having these moments and has been an extremely quick learner so I'm positive she will respond great to any training tips I get. Thanks in advance.

Make sure you praise her when she does the right thing. You might want to crate her when she bites

This article has a lot of good tips:

www.dogsbynina.com/.../

My one friend always raises older rescues and finds a combination of crate training and giving the dog jobs are best for curbing the brat behavior.

The first few days of crate training are painful with barking, but consistent rewards for good behavior catch on fast. Jobs can be to find food in a fancy hide a treat Kong or bring back a ball. Anything that shows you are the alpha. The key is consistent, repetitive, rewards!!!

Wishing you and your furniture baby a lovely history together!