Organizing Clean Laundry

Category Laundry
Sorting or organizing clean laundry can make getting it put away a much smoother process. This is a guide about organizing clean laundry.

My kids are old enough take care of their own laundry. To make my job easier, I went out and bought dollar store laundry baskets and some colored electrical tape. Each of our kids has their own colors (green, blue, red, pink/yellow). I cut 2 inch pieces of tape and wrapped the edges of each laundry basket with the electrical tape that is their own color. When I do the laundry, all I do is put their clothes in their own baskets and they are responsible for taking them in their room, folding them, and putting them away. When they get done, they are to bring the baskets back out and put them back in the laundry room for the next load to come out. No more digging in piles or baskets of clothes, just to find their shirt or their shorts.

By runningonempty1971 from Columbus, OH

When taking dry clothes off the washing line have a basket for each person (either with their name written on the wash basket or a different colour). When you take the baskets in, each person is responsible for putting their clothes away. My two boys have done this since they were 6 years old. I still have their drawers labeled so not only they can put their things away but if I get someone in to help me they can do it easily too.

By talkingbookworm from NSW, Australia

Doing the laundry, boring. I have a laundry basket for everyone in the house. I even put their names on them so to make sure they know which is theirs. On laundry day I wash, dry and fold. As I fold everyone's items and place the clothes in the appropriate laundry basket and it is their responsibility to make sure their laundry is put away. This shortens laundry chores for me and gives my family some responsibility. And believe it or not it has cut down on the amount of laundry that has to be done.

By Carol from West Milton, OH

Answers:

Laundry Tip for the Family

Thanks so much for the tip. I will definitely try this. Laundry is out of control in my house.
(07/09/2008)

By momma2many

Laundry Tip for the Family

Years ago, I had 5 children in my home and was trying to work at least part time. I found this idea to be of great value and time saving. My boys would each take their basket and I was done! (07/09/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Laundry Tip for the Family

I don't do this, however, I do have a laundry sorter in which all items are placed in sections for whites, brights and darks. When I need to do a load I can just reach in, grab some laundry and toss it into the washer. I do however, want to get some of those collapsible laundry bins in a smaller size so that I can put their folded items into them and have them carry it all up to their rooms at once so I am not running up and down the stairs all day or have laundry folded all over my living room :) (07/09/2008)

By

Laundry Tip for the Family

I taught my kids to do their own wash at a fairly early age, 9 or 10. Teach them to check their pockets, turn their clothes right side out, unbunch the socks, do a light and a dark load, how to measure the soap and what water temperature to use. It really cut down on the laundry I had to do once they were older. Sometimes they would help each other out. It also helped them when they left home because they had the skills to take care of themselves. It's worth a try but even just sorting, checking pockets (you can always double check) and turning clothes right side out really saves you time at the washer.

(07/09/2008)

By Susan from ThriftyFun

Laundry Tip for the Family

No children left in my home but this works for the 2 of us. I have 4 containers in our closet, for dark colors---light clorox wash---- medium color no clorox and delicates. Hubby has been trained to put all his clothes in the appropiate container and when they are full, I just dump them in the washer without having to sort and touch dirty laundry .

(07/09/2008)

By Lily May

Laundry Tip for the Family

I don't know why mom is washing and folding!!! Give each kid a basket, and have another one just for whites, as most kids don't have many whites. Kids do their own laundry, fold, and put away. Or sometimes they don't fold and put away, in which case they wear them wrinkled. There is no need for busy moms to be doing laundry for kids older than 6. Post directions by the machines so kids know how much softener to add, what setting for whites, and so on. Laundry is such an easy chore for each person to do for himself. (07/09/2008)

By louel53

Laundry Tip for the Family

louel53 wonders why Mom is doing the washing and folding. Well, when I had 5 little ones they were 12, 5,3,1, and newborn, Two were husband's grandchildren who moved in and stayed 2 years. As the boys got older Dad kept them working outside so much that I did it so they could have some play time. I saw it as my contribution to the family, along with all the cleaning, cooking, etc. (07/09/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Laundry Tip for the Family

If the mom's have to work outside the home and need help then they should teach the husbands how to help, not the children. It is enough for the children to keep their rooms clean. I am saying this as a working mom. (07/10/2008)

By

Laundry Tip for the Family

I totally agree with last post. Let the kids be kids. They will be grown up like we are soon enough. They should put their cloths away but not have to be in charge of doing their laundry. We always complain the kids are growing up so fast. We make them. I am sure when they get old enough and on their own they will do their own laundry. (07/10/2008)

By