Organizing Dirty Laundry

Category Clothing
Sorting and organizing your dirty laundry before it is washed can be very helpful. It will keep like colors and types together and help with folding and putting away later. This is a guide about organizing dirty laundry.

I use the rubbermaid type storage containers for laundry baskets. I hang my laundry on a clothesline, so they hold a lot and do a great job. They don't break like laundry baskets do. I have been using the same one for years now.

By Tammie from Auburn, GA

My sorting of dirty laundry begins with the hamper I toss it into. I have a separate white circular hamper for white mostly cotton clothes. As for the others, I separate permanent press andhang-up clothes from folded clothes, such as colored tee shirts and underwear. Towels and washcloths are also washed by themselves. It is best to launder delicate lingerie, such as, bras, girdles, and fancy nightgowns together, perhaps in a mesh bag, so the hooks don't get stuck to anything.

By Vivian P.

To make laundry sorting easier and faster I have a blue 10 gallon trash can for blue jeans, a white one for whites, and a green one for everything else. It wasn't hard training my children to use them either (even the 17 year old!).

By Angie Ferguson

I read all the tips for organizing dirty laundry and have to shake my head in amazement. Why do you let your dirty laundry pile up so much? Keep ahead of your dirty laundry by washing, drying, and putting away at least one load per day. The descriptions you have provided amount to what Flylady.net refers to as Mount Washmore.

Best wishes.

Source: www.flylady.net

By Carol from Wyoming, PA

Don't throw away those department store handle bags. Store them in your linen closet and use them to carry the various loads of wash to the laundry room and then put the clean clothes back in them to carry them to the areas in the house where the items are stored.

I bought laundry baskets for each member of the family. These baskets have three compartments and is on a frame that rolls. Every time an item of clothing is put into the basket, it is put into it's correct spot, so when it is filled the laundry is already sorted. Each compartment holds one load of laundry so you also know when it's time to do laundry.

By Shirley from Henderson, NV

Tips for organizing dirty clothes. Post your ideas.

Answers

Best Answer

Put a cardboard divider in your clothes hamper and use one side for whites and one for darks. Then when your family puts clothes in, they will already be sorted. Towels and sheets can also go on the white side if you have more dark clothes in family. This has worked very well in my household for several years.

By Hazel

Best Answer

I use two laundry hampers that stack on top of one another. They have handles, and there is a space on the bottom of each basket where the handles can fit. They are designed specifically for this purpose, and they hold a fair amount of laundry as well. The handles are an added plus because they make it easier to carry the laundry around. I do not recall if they are Rubbermaid baskets, but I got them some time ago at a Walmart. So whenever one of them gets full enough, I simply carry it to the washing machine and put the stuff in. I have also seen fancy sorters that are made of both cloth and wood. My mother has one that sorts darks and lights, but has a smallish pocket between the dark and light portions and that is for delicate stuff. That's great for someone who has to carry their laundry a substantial distance or down several flights of stairs. The fancy kind are often on wheels, but they are extremely pricey, and in my mind, not worth the expense.

Best Answer

I have a small trash can with a lid that we put white clothes in, and then we have a regular hamper for colored clothes. Since I have 3 boys, I bought a white trash can and blue hamper so they understand the concept.