AdviceOrganizing

Organizing and Cleaning Tips for Someone in Poor Health

I'm not in good health anymore. I need help organizing. I can't do much cleaning. My children all say they're too busy, that they have to clean their own houses. We cannot afford a housekeeper. My husband does as much as he can. I don't want anyone coming to my house, it's embarrassing. Please help me.

By Dottie from southern IN

I understand how you feel, since arthritis has slowed me down considerably. But I still like a clean house and since my husband suffered from two strokes, I don't like to put too much on him either. The best way I have found since standing long is an issue is to get a chair (we found a desk chair at Goodwill for $5) on wheels and I move around the room that way dusting and vacuuming.

The chair moves easily and I try to keep cleaning supplies in a container so I have everything I need in one place. I can dust, use window cleaner for glass items, etc. I use the long handled dusters (Swifters) for higher places that I can reach from the chair. I like the independence it gives me. If I need something cleaned that I can't get to, I have a wonderful sister who helps out when she comes over. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Depending on your age I know some help can be available through senior care (if you're a senior citizen) agencies. See if your county has an agency like that and call to see what they can offer you. You might also ask your clergy because they might know someone that will work for a lesser amount or free...just tell your family you don't want any "gifts" for Christmas - just their help and time! Tell them that is needed more by you and hopefully they will listen. Good luck and God bless you! Linda

What goes around, comes around and one day possibly her children's children will be too busy also.

When my leg was broken, I mopped floor by pouring a cup of half vinegar and half water on floor, scrubbed with broom, and then pushed dry rags (old t shirts) over floor to dry up water. Broom also works to scrub out tub with cleanser. I let the cleanser dry and then re-wet it and scrub it off with the broom. I used my walker but now I do the same without the walker. I vacumned, dusted, cooked and did dishes while sitting in my walker. The rolling chair might be a more stable alternative.