Outside Dogs Suffering from a Flea Infestation?

0
Share
3
Save
Follow
Print

I have 3 outdoor Chihuahuas, of one is a mommy of 3, 3wk old males. So 5 Chihuahuas. The poor babies are infested with fleas. I mean covered! The yard has been treated several times, bedding area is cleaned, I know I can't use toxins on any pet if around mama and especially the babies. I've bathed them with Dawn and combed them all many times.

As soon as I put one pup down and when I'm done with the second, it is covered again. I'm combing all 5 dogs at least 4-5 times daily. It's taking a lot of time and I'm sure they are getting tired of it. But I can't let the fleas be biting on them. I can't afford a vet. I'm considering letting the new owners of the pups take them like now at 3wks and care for them. I don't want them to get sick.

So I guess I'm asking for any suggestions. The mama is gonna get spayed after she stops nursing. That's a must. I have saved up the money for that when she got pregnant. Please help me help my pets. This infestation has never been like this in the past. Home remedies, OTC, anything, please!

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

You need to treat the kennel, yard, and then spread out cedar chips. Complete instructions are here: www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fleas-in-an-Outside-Dog...

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 107 Posts

I have a friend who just swore by garden nematodes. These are critters that eat fleas. She put a few in her yard and her flea problem just dissappeared!

www.arbico-organics.com/.../beneficial-nematodes
www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1525755200... (Affiliate Link)

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 226 Feedbacks

It sounds like your yard treatment did not work. You need to call them back and have it redone. Can you take mom and puppies in the house for awhile? It is very difficult to control fleas outside. You are right to be concerned. Heavy flea infestations can kill small puppies. Check their gums for anemia (pale color). 3 week old puppies cannot leave their mother. They are not weaned yet. Weaning can begin at 3 to 4 weeks and is usually completed at 7 to 8 weeks. Then they can go to new homes. I think your best bet is to bring these puppies and mom into the house , bathe them and give them new bedding. Watch the gums for loss of pink color. Your local Vet may have other suggestions.

Pets FleasMay 7, 2018
😎
🎆
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Outside-Dogs-Suffering-from-a-Flea-Infestation.html