Painting Entryway and Staircase Walls

The entryway staircase area is dark of course unless the light is on, but there is not a window. You walk in the door and have a small entryway and go up the stairs to the main living areas. My question is where do you stop the paint line as you enter into the living area? I wanted to brighten the stairway up, but am not sure how to handle the connecting it to the other rooms? I hope this makes sense.

By AC

It does. I would leave the ceiling white, and paint just the side walls. If another room starts at the edge of the short wall, I would stop there. In other words, paint to the top of the last step then break.

Hope that helps.
PBP