Painting Walls to Coordinate with Brown Furniture

A brown leather sofa on a wood floor in front of a white wall.
Having your room look just right includes choosing a paint color that coordinates with your furniture. This is a guide about painting walls to coordinate with brown furniture.

We just purchased some new furniture for our rec room. The walls are white and the carpeting a lighter brown. I am wanting to add some colour and we have lots of browns/neutral upstairs so I was thinking something in the blue family might be nice as we live on the lake. Any suggestions on which way to go - blue/gray, blue/green, plain blue?

Answers

Aqua blues from intense for accent to like intensity for background. Also a lighter version of the dark brown for details for trim.

Yellow/orange, no?

I picked a dark and medium brown from your sofa. Your complimentary blue for the darker brown is ABBECC.

Also shown are the square colors for the darker brown. Since they all appeared rather sombre to me, I added a row of lighter, brighter colors.

I tend to go along with Sheilah, so I also included a shade of lighter brown.

Have fun.

Now, for a different perspective.

Aqua would be complimentary to your brown furnishings, but might be best used sparingly as an accent color. I don't think white is the best color for walls surrounding brown furniture. Light sand might be an option.

I don't know if the submitted picture is yours or that of a showroom setting. I believe though, within that picture are some wonderful colors to consider.

I need help with color selection. I have a medium brown suede sectional and a beige carpet. What are good colors to paint the walls? I have floor to ceiling windows on both ends of the room.

By Janet

These are both neutral colors, therefore any color that you like should work.

I agree with Redhat. Any neutral color should work, like a cream, but then make sure you give it some color with accessories. I really hate to see an all neutral room unless there is a lot of texture in it. If you use color with accessories, you can change it out more often if you tire of it.

Oh my gosh, you've got it made! Just think about what you'd wear with a pair of khakis...anything! Have fun! Any color will look great. I always recommend looking in catalogs or online at furniture websites for ideas. They always display the furniture in great looking rooms with perfect color combinations.

Just painted the exact colors of room are like yours. Here's what the paint dept at Home Depot recommended. I did it and I love it.

Ceiling White

3 walls Mushroom Bisque UL140-10

Accent Wall Coco Rum UL130-5

I would have not choose these colors but love them. I guess that's why they are the color experts.