Paint Color Advice to Coordinate with Furniture

Category Painting
Choosing a Paint Color
The furniture in any room dictates what colors will work when painting the walls. This is a guide about paint color advice to coordinate with furniture.

This is a guide about painting walls to coordinate with black furniture. Choosing just the right color to complement your black furniture can really make your room look good.

Two black armchairs facing a screen and speakers.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about painting walls to coordinate with sage green furniture. The color of the furniture in a room dictates what colors will work best when painting the walls.

Sage Green Chair

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about paint color to coordinate with red furniture. Choosing a paint color that coordinates with your red furnishings can be a challenge.

A pair of red leather chairs in a white room.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about painting walls to coordinate with brown furniture. Having your room look just right includes choosing a paint color that coordinates with your furniture.

A brown leather sofa on a wood floor in front of a white wall.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Finding just the right paint color to coordinate with your furniture can be frustrating. This is a guide about paint color to coordinate with a yellow couch.

A bright yellow couch on a white background.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

What color should I paint my bedroom walls? My bedroom suite is cherrywood.

Rachel from Atlanta, GA

Best Answer

Hey Rachel,

When I bought my home the kitchen was kind of an olive green (see picture; table on right side of photo) I didn't feel like painting it and put our pub table in in the kitchen anyway (which is similar to a cherry finish) I'm surprised at how it works together. I get a lot of comments on it. You wouldn't have to do this tone of green, but similar tones of red and green seem to work together. Good luck!

Kathy

Best Answer

Rachael,

I would suggest a sage green; similar to what Kathy has on her walls only more neutral and less yellow.

I have a bs in Art and the reason that the red/green combo works so well is that red and green are complimentary colors. I would choose a more neutral green due to my personal preferences, as I like the look to be more grounded and pop a little less.

Other colors that may work well maybe a pale warm yellow to play up the warm tones in the wood.

A beige with cool undertones would be nice too if you plan to accessorise a lot. A neutral shade will make your accessories and wall decor pop.

If you want your furniture to be the main attraction I would suggest a clean color; if you want a more harmonious room a more neutral shade. Just nothing dark; this would make for very little contrast resulting in a bland room; which could posssibly look smaller as well.

Another note cherry finish is beautiful especially if it is highgloss even though it is higher maintence it would be tempting to buy paint in an eggshell finish. So you would also have the contrast of matte walls against glossy furniture.

I have a butterscotch color leather sofa with dark hardwood floors. I need a wall color that will carry into the kitchen which has white cupboards. Could I go with a shade lighter on my leather sofa and carry a grey color into the kitchen? The grey looks nice against the white cupboards and the gold and grey would be my color palette. Any other suggestions?

By Val

Answer Was this helpful? 2

From the photo, it looks like the couch is white. If it truly is butterscotch, why not paint the walls a medium gray and more toward the blue side. Gray and butterscotch would be a great combo.

Sherwin Williams has a web site that allows you to change colors of the walls - was very helpful to me. Easy to find via google. Good luck

Since I prefer dark walls, especially with your light couch, I would love to see blue/gray (in the darker gray slate family). Which would look great in the living room and kitchen, as it looks like you have black countertops.

I don't really have an answer for you, but your question has helped me learn something new. I have a tiny, free application on my computer called 'Pixie'. It will give you the HEX, RGB and other color values of any color.

I just found there's a website which will give you the mid point between any two colors online (it's free, too). http://meyerweb  ols/color-blend/

With Pixie, you could get the color values from any two objects in your pictures. You could then enter those two values in Color Blender. You will be given the color and it's value that is mid point between the two you have chosen. This mid point color may give you some ideas about which colors to use.

I have 2 hunter green recliners and a tan sectional. We bought these chairs used 22 years ago, but they're Lazy Boys and are still in great shape. We're moving into a new house and want to put them in my family room. The room is 14'x18' so not huge, but not tiny. I need to choose paint colors. I'm thinking navy blue on a wall or two. Do you have any better ideas?

it could work. For some reason I don't care for navy blue and green. Somehow what occurs to me are different shades and intensities of green, and light cream/yellow to accentuate it. IF you want a dark wall, do a deep intense forest green, and for accents, a nice mint green.

I would like the walls a lighter color. How about cream, with curtains in a print with some of the hunter green in them?

Will light pink walls match cherry wood furniture?

Jess from Florida

I think it would be a good color scheme, sounds pretty to me!

It is pretty cheap to paint walls. The idea of those colors together sound pretty dated to me. I would paint the room(s). Unless it's a little girls pink room, if not, get rid of it!

What colour paint would go with my couch?

If your intent is to make this charming little love seat a focal point, then perhaps a strong yellow background would be suitable.

If on the otherhand, your intent is to play down the presence of the love seat, then choose a color which will help it blend in with the background.

What colors will look nice with butterscotch leather sofa and black leather chaise?

By Jamel

Pick one bright color you like. Not neon but say a sunflower yellow, or gemstone colors.