Painting a Kitchen with Blue Countertops

I have white cabinets in the kitchen with blue countertops (not navy and not baby blue, but country blue) and natural wood floors. What would be a good paint color for the walls (not yellow)? I was thinking a chocolate brown.

By Hulet from Alberta, Canada

Answers:

You could go with a light brown, taupe, or even a medium gray. I would also look at your appliance colors and any furniture in the room. (01/12/2010)

By Allison5

I wouldn't use chocolate brown as I worry it would be too dark for a kitchen. If there isn't much wall to be painted and if there are enough white cabinets to offset the dark of the wall, I'd say go ahead and do that. I once saw an episode of Sell this House on A and E TV in which the decorator used black on the walls of the kitchen.

I once read an article in Better Homes and Gardens magazine about bathrooms with colored fixtures. My tub and other fixtures are blue. It suggested a khaki color for the walls of the bath. To me, it looked like an army green color, brownish green. It had a little olive in it. You may want to consider that color.

I think I'd use a lighter brown like beige for the walls and save the dark brown for accents. I prefer brown with the blue rather than the grey someone else has suggested. But, I agree with you that a neutral is required for this situation. Best wishes always. (01/13/2010)

By Carol in PA

What about a peach or terra cotta shade? If that isn't your taste, how about a light, bright green? It's not the first thing most people would think of, but check out some decorating magazines and I'll bet you see that combination somewhere. (01/13/2010)

By Beth

How about an turquoise or blue-green? I also think the chocolate brown would work. (01/13/2010)

By elle1972

A warm tone to balance the dusky blue would be best. You said no to yellow, but maybe a buttery beige or off white would be better. (01/14/2010)

By tracesof