PaintingHome Improvement

Painting a Popcorn Ceiling With Smoke Damage

I had a kitchen fire due to an electrical short in the range hood. I have a popcorn ceiling. The ceiling has been cleaned by professionals, but it still looks black. What type of Kilz primmer do I need to purchase and what type of paint? I know I need to use a 3/4 in. roller.

I can't answer your question, however, I think the cleaning company should clean the ceiling again; and any other areas that are not cleaned properly! They have the technology and experience!

Sorry about your trouble. Make that cleaning company come back and do the job right! I hope you haven't paid them. If you have to use Kilz, I read that the oil based Kilz is very dangerous to breathe. We've had good results with the Kilz water based product, and then painted over it with a good quality paint. Be sure to buy paint with the primer already mixed in with the paint. They sell this now. Use a 3/4 inch paint roller because it will apply more paint. You may have to use 2 coats of paint. Be sure to get good ventilation when you paint. Good luck!

Contact the Kilz company. Google their website, or find a 1 -800 number for them (look on a can of their paint at the store) and they will tell you what paint you need to use.

I've seen people vacuuming the popcorn off their ceilings to get rid of the stuff! I hate those ceilings.

One said to use a professional machine but another showed using a regular shop vac. Looks easy and such a good idea. Gonna do it in our house soon!

I would not suggest it as many popcorn ceilings contain asbestos. It does release asbestos into your house when you attempt this.