Parade Float Ideas

Category Parade Float
Schools, organizations, and businesses often participate in parades for homecoming and holidays. Part of the fun and sometimes the stress is coming up with an idea for your float. This is a guide about parade float ideas.

This is a guide about Cub Scouts' Christmas parade float ideas. Children's organizations, such as the Cub Scouts, often participate in local Christmas parades.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Parades floats disguise the vehicle or platform underneath, often using a skirt at the edge. This is a guide about how to make a parade float skirt.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Whether designing for a small scale school project or a community parade, there are many excellent ideas you can incorporate into making a Valentine's Day float. This is a guide about Valentine's Day float ideas.

I work for a credit union and we have been invited to join a local parade. We're all searching for ideas to add to the float. We want the name of our company on the float and we want to involve the crowd. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Kristalove

Answers

By (Guest Post)

use chicken wire and tissue paper to spell out name and throw penny candy to the crowd

Make it a theme for the Community, such as
use Puppy/kitten themes and have empty boxes
set up at Credit Union to collect stuff for animal
shelters, food, towels etc or go RedWhitenBlue
and HONOR Veterans and you will be surprised
how fast the float making will go, find the creative
person in the bank the one that decorates for every
holiday and put that person in charge ....
Have Fun , also toss out pens, pencils, magnets
with your LOGO>

By (Guest Post)

I have some ideas...email me at mvm9607 @ aol.com (remove spaces) Mark

I am looking for float ideas poking fun at eating contests, mainly hot dog ones.

I work with kids and I need a float idea for a parade that is coming up. The theme of the parade is Cavoilcade's 58 and Oil's Great.

By Brandi from Groves, TX

Answers

Ask your community helpers: Firefighters, Police, Mailman, Doctor, Dentist, etc. to provide hats for the kids to wear.

Make Super large hats out of poster board, cut two holes in each (large enough for the child's arms), have them hold them up by placing their arms in through the holes, then they can still wave to the parade audience!

Perhaps you could borrow or make historical hats: derbies, top hats, etc. If police and fire depts have old-fashioned hats, that would be cool! I can't remember the exact title, but there's a really good Dr Seuss book about the hats of Bartholomew Huggins (I think) that would be fun.

Cavalcade-a group of horse drawn carriages or riders in a procession.
I see kiddos dressed like ponies, and some pulling wagons with kiddos in them, too cute!
Yarn manes and tails, everyone dressed in brown? Yellow felt for the "bridles and saddles"?

Not sure really what the point of the theme is when it comes to the "oil" part, but you could have the wagon(s) have an "oil spout" come up out of it. A black tube with some sparkly/shiney paper on it and some strips of the paper stapled to the top to 'spill' over and create a 'gusher'?

I am looking for ideas for a small town parade float with the theme "Old Values New Ideas" for a veterinarian clinic.

By Shannon Shain from WY

Answers

There are so many ideas you could go with! A building with a sign on it with animals in line to get in. Animals with bandages on different body parts. You could get together with the humane society and maybe promote adoption and/or spay/neutering programs. I would love to see pictures of whatever you go with! Good luck!

Hi Michael,
Great Idea! I have worked for a Large/Small animal practice for over 27 years. We would have an open house every year. But, for a float, I would suggest using live animals, a surgery table and of course have your Doctors on it also. Display all the services your hospital provides and maybe even offer a free rabies vaccine (new clients only) as rabies is one of the cheapest vaccines your hospital buys. Be in scrubs/lab coats.

Pass out candy to the children. I would use any advertising you have from your vendors ie: for frontline, advantage and of course any foods you sell at your practice. Use all the "free stuff" that they give you and pass them out. Are you a full service hospital? Make poster boards that display any of the services you provide.
Decorate it in the colors of your practice and don't forget to put your hospital's mission statement on the float also. Good luck

For the old values, new ideas you might have some older animals that are up for adoption. Many people reject older animals as an option when looking for pets. If you have any geriatric patients, have them on board or walking around the float. If you have a behaviorist, show that old dogs can indeed learn new tricks.

Our local community has a parade in the summer with the theme "Everyone Is Family". Any ideas for a simple float? Thanks so much.

Di from Colorado

Answers

People (or Paper mache people, whatever medium you use) of every age, color, size, shape holding hands around a world globe or something that represents your hometown. Might symbolize family and community togetherness. Kind of corny but there's my two cents. :)

Make a outdoor theme(like a campsite) Trees, picnic table etc. In the center make a imitation fire pit made with rocks. Have a diversity of people sitting around the pit roasting marshmallows.

If you have someone who is musical, have someone playing guitar. "Home,home on the range" is a sure hit. Good Luck

Use a flatbed trailer, put a carpet on it, dining room table, and create a scene of a family dinner. Use real people with dinner napkins tucked into their shirts, exaggerated hairdos, anything dramatic. Make a huge pot of big-gauge spaghetti, and show the Mom dishing up a big swinging blob of spaghetti (fake?) If you can use a generator, put it into a cabinet and set a TV on the cabinet with a movie in it of family scenes like 'Lassie'. You could do present-day or '50's. I guess you would not want to do a parody of the family, but instead celebrate genuine family good times.

We are going to be in our town's Sweet Corn festival parade. We are a construction company (Redcliff Construction) and the theme is corn. Please help!

We have a 4-H group and are looking for ideas for our float for the parade.

We have a ski boat we will be entering in a 4th of July boat parade this summer. The parade theme this year is "Our Children". Any great decorating ideas?

We are a line dancing group and are going to be in a town parade with the theme "Timeless Traditions". We have a 2 level flatbed and always put a theme on the highest level while we dance on the lowest level while traveling the parade route. Any ideas? I was thinking on the lines of family based?

By Wendy K

I am looking for float ideas for a veterinary practice, the theme is " All I want For Christmas". Thank you.

By E.F

Answers

Picture this: The cardboard or wood front of a house,(painted to look like the front of a house,) yellowish, warm windows, with a dad, mom, and girl, and boy out front of the house, walking toward the entrance of the house. Show some picket fence, at least on one side, if not two sides.

The girl cutout is holding a kitten/or puppy cutout, and the boy has a puppy/or dog on a leash, cutout. Mom/Dad could be holding the kitten/puppy/dog/cat, bunny, also, entering the warm, inviting house with the picket fence. Or, they could be shown entering an apartment, etc.,

"All I Want For Christmas is my two front teeth!" You could focus on the dental services and have big poster board depictions of cartoon animals flashing their whitey teeth.

Any ideas for a parade float for a veterinary hospital with the theme "Honoring Those Who Serve"? Thanks.

By ValNR from NY

Answers

Perhaps you could somehow incorporate the idea of K9s? I used to "adopt" deployed soldiers, and I know they had dogs with them.

I recently read an article on a website about adopting out retired K9 army dogs. We are thinking right now maybe incorporate them, plus other service animals (seizure dogs/cats, seeing eye dogs, search and rescue, canine good citizen) and decorating the float to look like a dog.

There is kiddie parade coming up with the theme "Unforgettable Memories". Any ideas for a float?

By Alex from Hillsboro, IL

Answers

My first thought was dressing them like old tv show characters such as Darla, Alfalfa and Spanky from The Little Rascals, Howdy Doody, Gilligan and Skipper from Gilligan's Island, Scooby Doo and Shaggy, etc. You could make face masks of the real actors who portrayed them and have them on paddles or dowels so the person could just hold them up over their faces and then dress in character. Span the genres so all would know some of the characters. Maybe even come up with one of those old console tvs to put at one end of the float. Everyone has unforgettable memories of their favorite tv shows they grew up watching. Good luck!

A few thoughts to kick start your imagination.
"A Day At The Beach" - white sand, palm trees, beach umbrella, sandcastles, beach towels, beach toys, beach ball, seashells
"Playground Fun" - grass, see-saw, swing, hula hoop, picinic blanket & basket, kite flying
"Playing Dress-Up" - gowns, wigs, hats, old high heels , make-up dresser with mirror and seat

Good Luck and have fun:)

Our city is having a holiday parade and the theme is Trains. We are looking for any simple ways to turn our company van into a train. I won't have a lot of volunteers to help me transform the van, so it needs to be easy. Thank you very much.

I am looking for ideas for a parade float to commemorate our high school's 50th birthday. Any ideas for simple, cheap, and attractive?

I want to build a flatbed float with the theme heroes and villains to represent a hospital.

Our high school boys just won the state championship and we are having a parade for them. What would be an easy quick way to decorate the float? The parade is on Monday.

We are a conservation club and need a float idea. Please help!

The theme is Father Marquette. Any ideas for a float?

We are a bowling alley with a strong group of youths who will be walking in parade with us. Our theme is Blue Jeans and Country Dreams. We have a flatbed trailer approximately 25' long. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. We want to incorporate the dreams of bowling a 300 perfect game plus the kids will be wearing blue jeans and their league shirts handing out free game certificates and of course candy.

Answers

OOOUUUU...Sounds FUN!!
That is a good dream! I bowled a 290 once and will remember it forever!!
How about making an oversized bed with sleeping figure (or giant paper mache PIN with a sleeping face on it) with a sign that SAYS DREAMING OF A PERFECT SCORE above it's head. You could hang some pins out on springs all over the float/bed (like they were hit with a bowling ball) too...

My alternative idea would be to replicate a bowling lane and have someone look like they are actually bowling on it (going through the motions, perhaps with a dark balloon but NOT really letting go of the ball) with the kids hidden or swatting down on the other end of the 'lane' holding one pin each. When the bowler LETS go of their imaginary ball the pin kids either jump up with their pins in the air or throw them up in the air and catch them from down on the float - OR have the pin kids throw CANDY out to the parade attendees at that time! Have the STRIKE SOUND piped in somewhere too when they do so too!
Let me know what you do! Sounds like a good time!

I work at a real estate office and we are going to be in a local festival parade. We can't come up with a theme. Please help! Our company s called Century 21 New Heritage.

Answers

Well I would think HOME SWEET HOME, Home is where the HEART IS, The Three Pigs or other HOME based references would be great for business and fun too!
Or if you have the time and talents you can even mirror the characters from the wizard of Oz, including Dorothy, tin man, scarecrow, lion and wizard (with a small hot air balloon, small house and of course Toto?)and make a sign that says "There's no place like HOME" Using kids as the stars could really be cute too!!

Enjoy your Day!

Load More