Paw Print Key Case Made of Plastic Bottles
August 20, 2021
Using plastic bottles in crafty DIY projects is a great way to save money and minimize environmental impact. I used a plastic water bottle and shampoo bottle to make this key case.
Total Time: 2 Hours
- plastic water bottle
- plastic shampoo bottle
- shoe lace
- felt-tip pen
- cotton wool and alcohol
- fishing line
- threads the same color as the shoe lace
- key ring
- lighter or matches
- transparent hot glue
- Draw a paw-shaped pattern on the cardboard and cut it out. The size depends on the length of your keys. Make pads templates the same way.
- Cut a piece of flat plastic out of the water bottle. Place the paw template on top, trace and cut out. Cut another paw out of the plastic. You can trace the pattern by scratching with an awl.
- Cut the pads out of the plastic shampoo bottle as in the previous step.
- Mark the edges of the pads on one plastic paw with a felt-tip pen. Make holes along the edges of the pads (inside). Join the two plastic paw-parts and make holes with an awl along the edge.
- Place the pads under the plastic paw in the marked place and make holes along the edges of the pads where the plastic paw already has holes.
- Measure a piece of fishing line 3 times the perimeter of the pad. Place the pad in the marked place on the front side so that the holes line up. Thread the fishing line through one of the holes. Stretch out the fishing line and fold it almost in half. Thread the longer end of the fishing line from the front into the adjacent hole, then thread the same end back through the same hole to form a loop. Pass the other end of the line through this loop. Tighten the ends of the line, but not tightly so that the fishing line does not break (keep the loop on the wrong side). Continue stitching.
Tie the ends of the fishing lines in a knot and secure with hot glue. Be careful when working with hot glue and do not touch the plastic with the gun, otherwise the plastic will warp.
Sew all other pads to the plastic paw in the same way.
- Sew the bottom edge of the paws in the same way, without joining them together. Then join the two plastic parts of the paw and sew one side edge.
- Measure the distance from the top to the bottom of the paw with a shoe lace and cut the lace to the desired length with allowances. Singe the ends with a lighter or matches. Sew a carabiner to one end of the lace, and sew a key ring to the other end.
- Insert the shoe lace into the key case and sew the other side. Leave a hole at the top of the case so that the shoe lace can be pulled inward, but so that the carabine will stop it. Remember to fix the ends of the fishing line with hot glue.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.