Making Peanut Butter Balls (Buckeyes)

These peanut butter balls are the perfect mixture of sweet and salty. Make up a batch and bring them to a party or put them in a canning jar and give them as gifts.

• 9 oz chocolate (I used 1/2 bittersweet and 1/2 semi sweet)
  • 1 Tbsp shortening
  • 2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 2-2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • kosher salt for topping

1. Mix together the peanut butter, melted butter and vanilla. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar until the mixture has become stiff and you can roll the peanut butter mixture into balls.
  2. Roll mixture into 1 inch balls using the palms of your hands. Place rolled balls onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet.
  3. Once you have rolled all the peanut butter mixture into balls. Place the cookie sheet into the fridge and chill for a few hours or overnight. If you are in a bind, stick them in the freezer. (If you are planning on using a toothpick for dipping, do not freeze the balls through).
  4. Cover another cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside. Take only a few of the balls out of the fridge at a time to dip. Once the balls warm up it becomes increasingly difficult to dip them in the chocolate.
  5. Melt 4 oz bitter sweet chocolate, 5 oz semi sweet chocolate, and 1 Tbsp shortening in a double broiler. You can play with the proportions of chocolate or even use milk chocolate. It is really up to you and how you like your chocolate. I find using this combination compliments the sweet peanut butter nicely.
  6. Once melted take off the heat. If at any point during the dipping process the chocolate stiffens place it back on the heat.
  7. Using a toothpick, two spoons, a bent fork or chocolate dipping tools. Dip the balls into the chocolate. Let all the excess chocolate drip off then place onto a parchment coved cookie sheet.
  8. While the chocolate is still warm sprinkle a tiny pinch of kosher salt onto the top of the peanut butter ball.
  9. Once all of your balls are dipped and salted, place the cookie sheet into the fridge and chill until the chocolate hardens. It is best to keep this treat in the fridge because they taste better chilled.
  10. Salted peanut butter balls make great gifts. Place each ball into a mini muffin paper or candy paper and place the balls in a canning jar.

15 More Solutions

Every year my grandma made what we called "Peanut Butter Balls". She never went by a recipe and they always turned out perfect!

I needed 10 dozen cookies for a library cookie sale and ended up using an old recipe for chocolate covered peanut butter balls! Easy enough for kids to help (make the balls) and really good!

Peanut Butter Balls

I made these over Christmas to top off dessert trays. Everyone went crazy over them! Remarks like I can't eat just one. They are very easy and taste better than a Reese cup.

Peanut Butter Balls on parchment paper

Creamy, delicious and easy to make! I forgot how good and easy these are until i got the recipe out and made them for Thanksgiving. Everyone loved them and they disappeared fast!

This a very simple recipe we make every year and is great for kids to help with around the holidays!

This is a favorite of my son in-law! Very good holiday candy!

My son in-law's favorite Christmas candy.

Videos

These peanut butter balls are the perfect mixture of sweet and salty.

Does anyone have a recipe for Peanut Butter Balls that call for graham crackers?

Debra from Tenn

Answers

I don't have this recipe but have you tried recipezaar.com? It will probably have what you are looking for, loz

Here's a recipe that was passed down in our family.We call them Calorie Balls ( for obvious reasons)

Chocolate Ball Cookies

2 C graham cracker crumbs
1 C peanut butter
1 C coconut flakes
1 box powdered sugar
2 sticks melted oleo

1 bag (12 oz) semi sweet chocolate chips - melted (I use Nestle)

Mix graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, coconut, powdered sugar and oleo together with hands. Roll into 1 inch balls. Dip balls into melted chocolate and place on cookie sheet lined with waxed paper to dry.

This is called "Baby Ruth Balls" my kids favorite.
2 sticks melted marg.
1 box powdered sugar
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
2 cups coconut
2 tsps. vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs-fine
Melt marg. add p. sugar, vanilla then P.B., mix well, add remaining ingred. chill in fridge about 1 hour. roll into small balls, dip in chocolate.
This is sooo good it'll make your tongue slap your brains out. Enjoy, Trevanla

By Danielle (Guest Post)

Peanut Butter Buckeye Recipe:

1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
4 ounces plus 3 tablespoons of softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 to 4 cups confectioners sugar (about 1 pound)
1/2 cup very finely ground graham cracker crumbs

Chocolate for Coating

Preparation:
With a wooden spoon or large mixer with a paddle beat peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Slowly stir or beat in confectioner's sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Mixture will be dry, but will hold together when shaped into balls.
Shape mixture into 1-inch balls: place on waxed paper lined cookie sheet and chill in freezer or until firm. (makes about 5 dozen candies)

By KATHY T. (Guest Post)

I have an old recipe using graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, light corn syrup, cinnamon and confectioners sugar. Does this sound like the one you were looking for?

By DEBRA (Guest Post)

Yes Kathy, I would love to have your recipe. Thanks!
redbarn816 AT yahoo.com

Hey Kathy! Could you, would you, please post your recipe here??? Thanks!!

I am trying to make chocolate/white buckeye balls. I am looking for easy recipes. I need help with this. I want to make a Rice Krispie mixture to put inside.

I had these in grade school. The recipe contains: corn flakes, raisins, peanut butter, and I think clear syrup. I am not sure about the syrup. They were rolled up like a ball and I got into a lot of trouble, cause I lost this recipe two times.

My mom was so mad. I would love to find this recipe. Thank you so much.

By Sandy c from Milton, FL

I would like a recipe for buckeyes, made with coco instead of chocolate chips or squares. Thanks.

By BETTY from Georgetown, OH

Answer this Question

Recipe for Buckeyes. Spear peanut butter ball with a toothpick and dip about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way into the melted chocolate chip mixture, leaving about a 3/4 inch circle of tan.

Anyone have a good recipe for peanut butter balls.

Load More
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CandiesJanuary 30, 2013
🎉
😷
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Peanut-Butter-Ball-Recipes-Buckeyes.html