Peanut Butter Ball Recipes (Buckeyes)

Category Candies
Peanut Butter Balls
Like peanut butter and chocolate, then you will love these delicious candies. This page contains peanut butter ball recipes (buckeyes).

These peanut butter balls are the perfect mixture of sweet and salty. Make up a batch and bring them to a party or put them in a canning jar and give them as gifts.

• 9 oz chocolate (I used 1/2 bittersweet and 1/2 semi sweet)
  • 1 Tbsp shortening
  • 2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 2-2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • kosher salt for topping

1. Mix together the peanut butter, melted butter and vanilla. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar until the mixture has become stiff and you can roll the peanut butter mixture into balls.
  2. Ad

3. Roll mixture into 1 inch balls using the palms of your hands. Place rolled balls onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet.
  4. Once you have rolled all the peanut butter mixture into balls. Place the cookie sheet into the fridge and chill for a few hours or overnight. If you are in a bind, stick them in the freezer. (If you are planning on using a toothpick for dipping, do not freeze the balls through).
  5. Ad

6. Cover another cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside. Take only a few of the balls out of the fridge at a time to dip. Once the balls warm up it becomes increasingly difficult to dip them in the chocolate.
  7. Melt 4 oz bitter sweet chocolate, 5 oz semi sweet chocolate, and 1 Tbsp shortening in a double broiler. You can play with the proportions of chocolate or even use milk chocolate. It is really up to you and how you like your chocolate. I find using this combination compliments the sweet peanut butter nicely.
  8. Ad

9. Once melted take off the heat. If at any point during the dipping process the chocolate stiffens place it back on the heat.
  10. Using a toothpick, two spoons, a bent fork or chocolate dipping tools. Dip the balls into the chocolate. Let all the excess chocolate drip off then place onto a parchment coved cookie sheet.
  11. While the chocolate is still warm sprinkle a tiny pinch of kosher salt onto the top of the peanut butter ball.
  12. Ad

13. Once all of your balls are dipped and salted, place the cookie sheet into the fridge and chill until the chocolate hardens. It is best to keep this treat in the fridge because they taste better chilled.
  14. Salted peanut butter balls make great gifts. Place each ball into a mini muffin paper or candy paper and place the balls in a canning jar.

Every year my grandma made what we called "Peanut Butter Balls". She never went by a recipe and they always turned out perfect!

Over the years family members moved away and family gatherings became extinct (literally) and so we all missed out on Grandma's peanut butter balls.

Later, I found this recipe for Buckeye Candy that is almost exactly like Grandma's peanut butter balls!

Buckeye Candy

Line cookie sheets with wax paper.

Beat peanut butter and butter in a large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in powdered sugar until mixture holds together and is moist. Shape into 1" balls; place on cookie sheets. Freeze one hour.

Melt chocolate chips and shortening in medium, uncovered microwave-safe bowl on high for 1 min., stir. If necessary, continue every 10-15 seconds until melted completely.

Dip peanut butter centers into chocolate using a toothpick, leaving a small amount of center uncovered (hence, the eye). Shake off excess and place on cookie sheet. Refrigerate, covered, until chocolate is set. Store in covered container in refrigerator.

Variations: My grandmother used completely cover her peanut butter centers or another idea is to set the centers on top of a bakers cooling rack and drizzle chocolate back and forth over the peanut butter center.

You could do all three variations for gifts and put a few of each one in a little tin.

Yields approx. 6 dozen.

By Tawnda

I needed 10 dozen cookies for a library cookie sale and ended up using an old recipe for chocolate covered peanut butter balls! Easy enough for kids to help (make the balls) and really good!

Total Time: 2 hours including freezer time

Yield: 13 dozen

• 1 cup butter or margarine, softened ($1.50)
  • 4 1/2 cup powdered sugar ($1.99)
  • 1 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy... I used crunchy) ($1.99)
  • 4 Tbsp water
  • 2 bags (12 oz) semi sweet chocolate chips ($4.00)
  • 4 Tbsp oil ($.25)

1. Cream butter in large mixing bowl. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Stir in peanut butter and water.
  2. Shape mixture into 1/2" balls onto a piece of parchment (or baking sheet) and put in freezer for a few minutes. This is not in the recipe I had in my recipe box but it makes handling them much easier once you have hot chocolate!
  3. Place chocolate in a metal bowl inside a larger pot that has some water on the bottom (or double boiler IF you have one...I did not) and melt the chocolate chips. I always add a few teaspoons of oil to the chips to make them thinner and easier to dip the balls in. Stir while chocolate melts entirely.
  4. Drop half dozen of the balls into the melted chocolate. Use a fork to move them around then quickly pick them out one at a time (letting excess chocolate drip off). Put in individual paper candy cups for a cute presentation. Sprinkle with candy decorations for a finishing touch.
  5. Nice for cookie swaps, cookie sales or open houses. Very nice to share as gifts for the holidays!

Creamy, delicious and easy to make! I forgot how good and easy these are until i got the recipe out and made them for Thanksgiving. Everyone loved them and they disappeared fast!

This a very simple recipe we make every year and is great for kids to help with around the holidays!

This is a favorite of my son in-law! Very good holiday candy!

My son in-law's favorite Christmas candy.

Videos

These peanut butter balls are the perfect mixture of sweet and salty. Make up a batch and bring them to a party or put them in a canning jar and give them as gifts. View the full recipe here: Salted Peanut Butter Balls

Does anyone have a recipe for Peanut Butter Balls that call for graham crackers?

Debra from Tenn

I don't have this recipe but have you tried recipezaar.com? It will probably have what you are looking for, loz

Here's a recipe that was passed down in our family.We call them Calorie Balls ( for obvious reasons)

Chocolate Ball Cookies

2 C graham cracker crumbs

1 C peanut butter

1 C coconut flakes

1 box powdered sugar

2 sticks melted oleo

1 bag (12 oz) semi sweet chocolate chips - melted (I use Nestle)

Mix graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, coconut, powdered sugar and oleo together with hands. Roll into 1 inch balls. Dip balls into melted chocolate and place on cookie sheet lined with waxed paper to dry.

This is called "Baby Ruth Balls" my kids favorite.

2 sticks melted marg.

1 box powdered sugar

1 cup crunchy peanut butter

2 cups coconut

2 tsps. vanilla

1 cup chopped pecans

1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs-fine

Melt marg. add p. sugar, vanilla then P.B., mix well, add remaining ingred. chill in fridge about 1 hour. roll into small balls, dip in chocolate.

This is sooo good it'll make your tongue slap your brains out. Enjoy, Trevanla

Peanut Butter Buckeye Recipe:

1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter

4 ounces plus 3 tablespoons of softened butter

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3 1/2 to 4 cups confectioners sugar (about 1 pound)

1/2 cup very finely ground graham cracker crumbs

Chocolate for Coating

Preparation:

With a wooden spoon or large mixer with a paddle beat peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Slowly stir or beat in confectioner's sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Mixture will be dry, but will hold together when shaped into balls.

Shape mixture into 1-inch balls: place on waxed paper lined cookie sheet and chill in freezer or until firm. (makes about 5 dozen candies)

I have an old recipe using graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, light corn syrup, cinnamon and confectioners sugar. Does this sound like the one you were looking for?

Yes Kathy, I would love to have your recipe. Thanks!

redbarn816 AT yahoo.com

Hey Kathy! Could you, would you, please post your recipe here??? Thanks!!

http://allrecip  s-ii/detail.aspx

Here's the recipe. Allrecipes site has everything you could ask for!

I am trying to make chocolate/white buckeye balls. I am looking for easy recipes. I need help with this. I want to make a Rice Krispie mixture to put inside.

Buck eyeballs are usually made with peanut butter mixed with powdered sugar until the peanut butter get stiff

Roll Stiffen peanut butter into balls.

Insert toothpick into ball. Dip into melted chocolate allowed to drip then turn upside down and insert toothpick into Styrofoam let dry

Remember when dipping to leave a large circle around toothpick this is the Eyeball of the Buckeye.

Using rice crispy treats as centers dip balls into white chocolate then dark chocolate. remember to leave the white centers for eye centers.

Mix the rice krispies with the peanut butter. Add powdered sugar as needed to make a stiff dough. Then dip in the melted chocolate.

The recipes I found do not have Rice Krispies as an ingredient. However, recipes are just a guideline. The peanut butter is the binder, so add the Rice Krispies to that.

I had these in grade school. The recipe contains: corn flakes, raisins, peanut butter, and I think clear syrup. I am not sure about the syrup. They were rolled up like a ball and I got into a lot of trouble, cause I lost this recipe two times.
My mom was so mad. I would love to find this recipe. Thank you so much.

By Sandy c from Milton, FL

http://www.food  es-cookies-15431

Try this site as well.

http://www.cook  ke_balls,FF.html

Anonymous

I copied the recipe from the posted link

Total Time: 15 mins

Yield: 24-36 cookies

Ingredients

1 cup sugar

1 cup white corn syrup

1 cup peanut butter ( smooth or crunchy)

6 -7 cups corn flakes

Directions

Bring sugar and corn syrup to boil; remove from heat.

Add peanut butter and mix well.

Pour mixture over corn flakes.

Mix into balls onto waxed paper or spread into buttered pan.

I would like a recipe for buckeyes, made with coco instead of chocolate chips or squares. Thanks.

By Betty from Georgetown, OH

(This recipe makes lots)

• 1 lb. soft butter
  • 2 lb. smooth peanut butter
  • 3 lb. confectioners' sugar

Mix well, roll in 1 inch balls and chill well.

• 2 12 oz. bags chocolate chips
  • 1/2 bar paraffin wax slowly melted together and well stirred

Spear peanut butter ball with a toothpick and dip about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way into the melted chocolate chip mixture, leaving about a 3/4 inch circle of tan. Pat out the little hole from the toothpick and let set on waxed paper until well set or refrigerate until hard.

This is easy and extremely popular in the state of Ohio.

Go Bucks!

By Margie from Mount Vernon, OH

Answers:

Anyone have a good recipe for peanut butter balls.

Shari from Woodlawn, IL

Answers:

Recipe for Peanut Butter Balls

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peanut-Butter-Balls-VI/Detail.aspx (12/18/2007)

By MCW

Recipe for Peanut Butter Balls

I've made this several times and it's very good but does make a lot of candy!

DIP MIX: Mix and roll candy into 1 inch balls, chill at least 2 hours or overnight. Melt dip mix in top of double boiler. Dip in melted choc mix, dry on waxed paper until set. Freezes well.

Hope you like it! (12/18/2007)

By Glenn'sMom

Recipe for Peanut Butter Balls

PEANUT BUTTER BALLS

Mix and roll into balls. Dip in chocolate candy coating. Place on baking sheet lined with wax paper. Store in airtight containers in refrigerators.

Source: a book called, "Christmas Treats", no author listed.

Note: These are also good made with crushed vanilla wafers (omit the teaspoon of vanilla). (12/18/2007)

By perfume and powder

Recipe for Peanut Butter Balls

These are always a hit!

PEANUT BUTTER CREAMS

Beat egg slightly in small mixer bowl. Beat in 1 cup of the sugar, the salt, vanilla, peanut butter and butter/marg. Stir in remaining sugar. If necessary, add more powdered sugar to make firm enough to handle. I almost always have to do this. Sometimes I will also put the dough in the refrigerator for a bit to firm them up as well.

Shape mixture into 1-inch balls, roll balls in peanuts, and refrigerate. Makes about 15-20 balls depending on the size you roll them. You can double the batch as well.
(12/19/2007)

By Tracy

Recipe for Peanut Butter Balls

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,peanut_butter_balls,FF.html (12/19/2007)

By aardvark

Recipe for Peanut Butter Balls

I love peanut butter balls! I think they are my favorite treat at Christmas. Here is the recipe that I make each year.

Peanut Butter Balls

Cream peanut butter, margarine, and vanilla. Then add sugar (by hand). Keep moist. Chill a little (not long) before you dip them. Shave wax and melt with chips over double boiler. Use very low heat. Make sure not to get any water from condensation in chocolate or it will ruin it. Dip balls with toothpick and drop on wax paper. Put in fridge and chill (use glove).

*Can freeze.

**Makes 5 lb.

Enjoy!
(12/19/2007)

By Jayme

Recipe for Peanut Butter Balls

Peanut Butter Balls

Yields: 72 servings

"It is basically, just what the name implies."

INGREDIENTS:

DIRECTIONS:

Mix together peanut butter, butter or margarine, confectioners' sugar, and graham cracker crumbs. Shape into 1 inch balls. 2. Melt chocolate chips and shortening in top of double boiler. Dip balls into chocolate mixture and let dry on waxed paper. (Poke each ball with a toothpick for easier dipping.)
(12/19/2007)

By BABBIE

Recipe for Peanut Butter Balls

Can you handle one more?

Blend butter, corn syrup and vanilla. Mix in sugar and peanut butter. Knead on a surface dusted with powdered sugar if necessary to blend.

Form into balls and place on cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. Chill for 1 or 2 hours and dip into chocolate mixture. Place back on waxed paper and chill until coating has set. (12/25/2007)

By Lynn

Recipe for Peanut Butter Balls

I have a recipe that i found in like a family circle magazine years ago and use it for our family - they love it!

Option: roll in any topping: coconut, mini chocolate chips, mini mandms, etc...or just eat by themselves. TIP: can be eaten at room temperature (will be sticky) or placed in the refrigerator for less sticky. (01/10/2008)

By Jan

Recipe for Peanut Butter Balls

I just use peanut butter and powdered sugar. I put about 2 cups of peanut butter and just add powdered sugar till I can roll the mixture in a ball. I use melted almond bark and dip the balls and then place on wax paper till hardened. They are always perfect. (11/11/2008)

By Terre

Ingredients

• 2 cups peanut butter
  • 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 stick margarine, melted
  • 3 1/2 cups Rice Krispies

Candy Coating:

• 1 bar paraffin wax
  • 6 oz. chocolate chips
  • 1 Hershey bar (8oz.)

Directions

Mix the peanut butter, powdered sugar and margarine together. Add the Rice Krispies and mix together. (May have to mix with hands.)

In a double boiler, melt the paraffin wax, chocolate chips and Hershey bar. Form the peanut butter mixture into balls and dip them into the chocolate mixture. Place on waxed paper. (Can dip in chocolate twice, if desired.)

By Robin from Washington, IA