Perfect Pie Crust

This is a pie crust recipe that has never failed me. It uses butter and flour, primarily. I have used it well on quiches and pies. It is easy to use and does not have that unfortunate 'soggy bottom' phenomenon, unless the pie itself had too much liquid.

It does require a very basic sort of food processor, though. In any event, here it is.

Source: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220996/easy-homemade-pie-crust/

Link: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220996/easy-homemade-pie-crust/

1. 15 or so minutes before starting, take 1/2 cup of water and stick in the freezer. Or if you already have cold water that's been in the fridge, use that.
  2. Combine the flour, salt, and butter in your food processor, and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. This takes about 10 1-second pulses. Sometimes instead of unsalted butter + salt, I'll just use salted butter and skip the salt, though I think this makes a somewhat saltier crust. It's best if the butter is chilled up to the moment you use it.
  3. Advertisement

4. Remove water from the freezer, and mix it with the vinegar in a small bowl.
  5. Pour only half of the ice water and vinegar mixture into the flour and butter mixture, then pulse to combine it all for about 3 pulses.
  6. Pour in the remaining ice water and vinegar mixture, and keep pulsing the mixture until it just starts to come together. This takes about 8 pulses.
  7. Put on a wooden surface, and pat into a round shape. Divide this in half and make each half into a fat disk which is approximately 5 inches wide.
  8. Advertisement

9. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap, or put each disc in a Ziploc bag, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes until you are ready to use if. I have also kept it in the freezer for over a week and it has been fine if you let it thaw for just a couple of hours. I have also kept it in the fridge for 4 days after making it, and same thing.

Is it possible to use a plant-based butter? I just cringe at that much fat.....

....or maybe HALF plant based?

I hear ya; I only eat mainly plant based myself. This is for the hubs who loves butter LOL

I actually have tried out 3 vegan crusts which are great, including one with (get this...) NO FAT AT ALL!

I will be listing them shortly :)

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Pies Pie CrustJune 8, 2020
🌻
🎆
😷
😎
🐛

Pie CrustPies