Perming Chemically Straightened Hair

Category Hair Care
If you have had your hair chemically straightened, you may not be able to get a perm for a long while. This is a guide about perming chemically straightened hair.

I originally had very curly healthy hair, but in the past 2 years I've been getting the keratin treatment to make it straight. It looks very healthy and full, but I want to go back to my curly hair. The only solution is to let the curly roots grow which would make my hair look awful. To make this process a bit easier I was thinking of getting a curly hair perm, would that work on my hair? Since it has already been chemically straightened?

By Odelya

Answers

Best Answer

Don't do it! If it was truly a keratin treatment your hair will gradually revert to its natural curl over a period of time. Just have patience and make sure to use moisturizing conditioners and shampoos, plus a moisturizing deep conditioner at least once a month.

Most conditioners are either moisturizing or protein; try to avoid the protein ones until your curl is back, because you already have a layer of keratin protein bonded to your hair. Also make sure to get trims as needed to keep dry or split ends away. Patience is key!