Piccadilly's Carrot Soufflé Recipe

Category Desserts
The Piccadilly cafeteria chain offered a tasty carrot soufflé that many diners have tried to recreate at home. This is a guide about Piccadilly carrot soufflé recipe.

Does anyone else remember Piccadilly's Cafeterias? At one time, it was about my favorite place to eat. They had everything I liked, and I could pick and choose putting all the tiny dishes on my tray to suit myself. One of my most favorites was their wonderful carrot souffle which was basically a side dish, but was so sweet and good, it could just as easily been a dessert choice and often was. Many times, I tried to replicate their recipe at home, but it wasn't until 1997 that I received an original recipe from a friend for Piccadilly's famous Carrot Souffle. It is often Sunday dinner's dessert now, and many people think they are eating sweet potato souffle. It's a very easy recipe, and can be made a day ahead, then baked on Sunday morning. Good warm or at room temperature. With that much butter in it, we don't care for it cold.

Directions:

Steam or boil carrots. Drain well and transfer to a large mixing bowl. While carrots are still warm, add sugar, baking powder, and vanilla. Beat with mixer until smooth.

Blend in flour and mix well; add beaten eggs and beat. Add butter and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into a 2-quart lightly buttered baking dish or pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until top is a nice golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Serve warm and reheat leftovers for the most flavor.

Servings: 6-8
Time:About 30 Minutes Preparation Time
All together, 1 1/2 Hours Cooking Time

Source: Originally, the recipe came from Piccadilly's Cafeterias, I'm sure, but my friend Grace sent it to me in 1997. Gracie, who was as happy in a kitchen as I am, also loved to eat out. I'm not sure if the recipe was given to her by someone at the cafeteria, or if it came out in a cookbook. The kitchen was where you'd usually find us when we got together. I love and miss you Gracie.

By Pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

By Kori Puckett

Mom and I absolutely love Piccadilly Restaurant's carrot soufflé dessert. Recently over dinner there, she was telling me about how she had tried to make it herself recently. She was just guessing at what ingredients Picadilly uses, and she felt something was missing.

As she went over all the ingredients she used, I became curious and wanted to try it myself, so I got the idea to look it up on the Internet. It didn't take me long to find it, and I was anxious to try it myself:

Picadilly's Carrot Souffle

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 pounds carrots, chopped up
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 3 eggs, well-beaten w/electric mixer
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine (room temperature)
  • powdered sugar

(Surprisingly, no cinnamon or nutmeg, which we had assumed must have been in the recipe).

Directions

Steam or boil carrots until they're extra soft. Drain well and put into large mixing bowl.

While carrots are still warm, add: sugar, baking powder, and vanilla. Beat with mixer until smooth.

Add flour and mix well. Add whipped eggs and mix well. Add butter and mix well.

Pour mixture into baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 1 hour or until top is light golden brown. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar over top before serving.

After I tried this recipe the first time, I realize I needed to let the carrots boil a bit longer so they'd come out mushy. The souffle ended up with little carrot chunks and not completely smooth and creamy like it should.

But it does taste a lot like Picadilly's so I know I'm on the right track. I just need to keep practicing on getting the texture right.

About The Author: Kori Puckett, an average woman with a huge sweet tooth, loves experimenting with recipes and sharing them with others. Online she continues her grandmother's tradition of collecting recipes and cookbooks. Discover her latest recipe e-cookbooks at http://www.koripuckett.com/recipes

Answers:

How to Make Piccadilly's Delicious Carrot Souffle

It is my dad's favorite dish. I have adjusted it a bit over time and now have two versions. We call them the "meal" and "dessert" versions. My dad's favorite is a modified recipe with 1/2 cup of sugar and shredded carrots. He likes the hint of sweetness and the texture of the shredded carrots. (10/29/2008)

By Chelsey