Pickled Grapes

These might sound really weird, but they are so good! They look like pretty olives, and can be used in salad instead of olives, or just as a sweet-sour pickle to make your plate look nice and lend a little tang to your meal.

I am giving directions for 1 pint jar, but you can make as many pints as you want. They get better after a day or so of marinating, and last for a week or so. The vinegar turns a nice rosy color. Keep refrigerated - they are best when chilled. This is my version of a recipe I found.

• enough seedless grapes to fill a pint jar almost full
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 small hot pepper, cut in half
  • 3/4 cup, more or less, of white wine vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • a pinch of salt

Directions:

Put the grapes in a pint jar. I like to use a mixture of red, green, and black. Use nice sweet ones. Put the rest of the ingredients into a small saucepan and heat to a boil. Remove from heat as soon as it boils, and pour over the grapes. Add enough hot water to make it cover the grapes. When this has cooled, screw the lid on and refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 hours.

Source: From "The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern" by Matt Lee and Ted Lee. They add more salt, less sugar, hot pepper flakes instead of a fresh pepper, and they add a sprig of rosemary.

By Free2B from North Royalton, OH

You are such a creative and adventurous cook Barb. From people like you have come all the best and most famous recipes in the world. I'd never have thought of pickling grapes in a million years, but your recipe for them sounds so good that I'll have to try it.

Thank you for sharing your magic. Pookarina

Anonymous

Barb, how intriguing and am going to give your recipe a try and add some cinnamon, too!

Well now that is a new one for me! I did pickle bing cherries this year and they are pretty good but I prefer them plain.