Pineapple Coconut Carrot Cake
A very sweet, moist, and fruity carrot cake, that is based on this recipe. Carrot cake can be dry so I am glad that the pineapple helped solve that. I am doubling the baking time because it literally took twice as long as what the link said.
Yield: 10 to 16
- 1 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 cups sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup crushed/chopped pineapple
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- Half hour or so before starting, set aside eggs, butter, and cream cheese. Let it sit around so as to achieve room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Process carrots and pineapple in food processor.
- Combine apple sauce, sugar, and eggs with the mixer.
- Add dry ingredients to a sifter and sift all into mix.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Batter will be liquid.
- Pour into a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch, two 9 inch, or three 8 inch pans. The cake is very moist so using parchment paper for the bottom of your pans is a good idea.
- Bake for 35-60 minutes, depending on your pan. I used a 10 inch and it took over 1 hour. Do the toothpick thing. Don't open to check though until at least 30 minutes have gone by.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes in pan and remove to a cooling rack so that it will cool completely. After it cools, if you cooked one instead of 2, cut cake with a thread or floss to get 2 cakes so you can put icing between layers.
- While cake is baking, mix the frosting.
- Beat butter and cream cheese with mixer until nice and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar and beat until nice and smooth.
- Invert the cake onto a cake plate or stand.
- Apply a generous dollop of frosting and spread...
- Gently place the second cake on top and continue frosting. Repeat with the third cake if you made three.
- Decorate at will.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!