Dips & SpreadsRecipes

Pistachio Hummus

contest winner icon
I've come up with a few hummus recipes where I replace the tahini with something else due to allergies or high cost, but this one is by far my favourite now. This hummus uses pistachios to replace the sesame paste and gives it an amazing flavour. I've also added green peas for colour, texture, and dimension. I urge you to try this recipe!

Some additions I've used and loved with this recipe: 1/2 a teaspoon of ground cumin, 1/2 a teaspoon of smoked paprika, 1/4 of a bunch of chopped cilantro.

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 12 servings

1. In a food processor or blender, add 1/2 cup pistachios, olive oil and half of the water. Puree until it turns into a paste.
  2. Add chickpeas, peas, garlic cloves, and the rest of the water.
  3. Squeeze in lemon juice, about 2 tablespoons worth. Process until creamy. Add more water if it's too thick.
  4. Stir in salt and pepper to taste, then garnish with chopped pistachios.
  5. Serve with veggies or pita bread.

using pistachios is far more expensive that tahini - so this would not be cost effective for me, but it sounds like it might taste great!

Some people have allergies to sesame or are doing a diet where it is excluded. It's nice to have options. I have a recipe for pumpkin seed hummus that I haven't tried yet but looks good.

You can substitute pistachios (or any other nut) for pine nuts in pesto too. I always think the green is really appropriate.

I'd love to try a pumpkin seed hummus! I have a mild allergy with some tahini so this pistachio has worked well as a sub :)

When I make it, I'll submit the recipe. :)

This sounds amazing. Pinned, Shared and Thumbs Up'ed!!

Anonymous

Wow that sounds really yummy coming from a black bean hummus lover.Thank you for sharing and I have added pistachios to the shopping list.

Kindest regards,
Mic

Thanks Sandi and Mic! It's truly one of my new faves. One of my close friends was told to eat a lot of these ingredients for her gut disorders, so it might be more than beneficial to the tastebuds!

You're putting the lemon in the squeezer wrong. It is upside down. You will have better results is you turn it and put it in with the cut side down to the holes. I know that looks backwards, but, trust me, it works better with the membrane on the holes.
Fascinating recipe! i make my own pistachio butter, so this sounds fabulous!.