Planting Red Maple Seeds in a Hot Climate

Category Trees
A large red maple tree.
Attempting to grow seeds from trees or other plants not typically suited to your environment may prove to be disappointing. This is a guide about planting red maple seeds in a hot climate.

I was browsing an Amazon site, and I saw one of these charming red maple tree with seeds. I ordered the seeds out of curiosity; it came after two weeks. I am in an area where the average yearly temperature is 30 degrees celsius (86F).

And now I have got the seeds! I am wondering if it is possible to get a tree out of the them here? and how? Note that the seeds came with planting instructions, but i believe that it was written for the US and Canada zones.

Thanks.

Best Answer

You probably won't get a tree.

When I was young I lived In North Carolina which is warm and humid. Now I live in Colorado where it is cool and dry. As you might guess, most plants from my home state simply won't grow here. But people have found alternative trees, shrubs and plants that can make their house more homey.

I encourage you to do the same. Here are some hot weather plants you might want to consider:

Hopscotch Heucherella: Heat and humidity tolerant plant. Has maple-shaped leaves that change color.

Ruby Slippers Hydrangea: A plant with red flowers and large leaves.

Sweet Tea Foamy Bells: Foliage becomes more brilliantly colored in heat and humidity.

Fire Chief Heuchera: Bright red foliage plant.

You can plant it but you may have to make it an indoor tree because if it's a more Northern tree the heat will wilt it. Aside from that, making sure to keep them refrigerated at first. Here is a good link http://m.wikiho  Maple-Tree-Seeds

Maple trees won't grow well in your area. Make sure anything you plant is suited for your zone. Where I live I can't grow bananas or melons that require long periods of very hot weather. That's just the way it is.

i live in Florida and have had red maple trees grow as far south as Ft Lauderdale (USDA zone 10-11) but the average temperature is lower than yours as there are usually some low 70's (sometimes in 60's) in the 2-3 winter months.

I'm afraid your seeds are just a curiosity thing unless you wish to try your hand at bonsai (?) which sounds interesting to me but this is a very slow process and has an extensive "learning" curve. Just for fun - Check this site out:

https://www.eve  com/redmaple.htm