Planting a Vegetable Garden in an Old Dog Pen

We lost our dog a year ago and have taken down her dog pen and worked up the soil to plant a vegetable garden. Now that I have it planted I was made aware of round worms eggs that could possibly still be in the soil. Am I OK or should I not continue in this spot? It's been a year since any dog poo and there is none visible.

I would add a lot of compost to the area. I think a year is enough time for any dog feces to decompose.

You have my condolences on the loss of your pet. So sad. May her memory always be a blessing.

This is a tough one and I have argued with friends over this several times. Good matured, but still.

I will not plant anything that I will be eating in places where dogs or cats pooped. This is just me. I also don't use any animal manure or fertilizers. Dog and cat are very high in acid and parasites live for a long time. The rest is just icky and smells terrible.

I have friends who say it is OK to use any kind of poop for fertilizer.

This is just one of the many articles I share with them when we argue:

www.poop911.com/.../

I don't know how long it takes for the poop effects to totally go away. I personally would wait a few years and would keep turning the soil over to let it bake in the sun so it kills all the bad stuff.

I am very over cautious so take it for what it is worth, which is just my opinion.