Polypropylene Bag as Dog Mattress
Recycled polypropylene bags can be stuffed with recycled newspaper or other materials and made into an inexpensive dog bed. This is a page about using a polypropylene bag as a dog mattress
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
April 23, 2017
I wanted to buy my dog a mattress for her bed, but the store versions were just too expensive. I turned an empty polypropylene bag and old newspapers into a recycled dog mattress. Very cost-effective and my dog loves it!
- empty polypropylene bag
- old newspapers
- standard scissors
- semi-circular needle
- cotton embroidery floss
Instructions for making the project:
- Wash the bag, turn it inside out, and hang to dry thoroughly.
- Turn the bag right side out before making the mattress.
- Cut the newspapers in strips.
- Separate and crumple each strip before adding it to the bag.
- Once the bag is full enough, fold down the top of the bag towards the inside.
- Use a blanket stitch to sew the bag closed.
- Use as is, or cover it with a dog blanket, which makes it easier to keep the mattress clean.
April 24, 20170 found this helpful
Where do you find the bags?
April 26, 20170 found this helpful
Hi there! I got mine from a contact at a factory that processes lime.
Many products are sold in bulk and they come in bags that are similar to the one I used.
June 1, 20171 found this helpful
I took a load of old fabric and sewed it up to pillow size then stuffed it further w/torn and old clothing, bedding, and towels. The dog didn't mind it even though the hand sewing done while watching TV was really pathetic. She still has her donut-shaped dog bed, and I use my "creation" on the cold floor in another room during winter. She has not complained to me about my artistic ability yet.
April 12, 20190 found this helpful
Great idea. I get mine dog's bed from Free Recycle in our area. She is a Lab and I get FREE orthopedic crib mattresses.
I have a K-9 Ballistic crate pad over it and throw a sheet on it and she is good to go.