Potato, Cauliflower, and Carrot Soup

Category Soups
Homemade soups are the best and this one is a delicious blend of three complementary veggies and ham. This is a guide about potato, cauliflower and carrot soup.

This is one of the soups I like to make. Since buying soup has been out for reach for me, I have started making things from scratch. This is a thick, hearty soup, easy to make, and light on the wallet.

Total Time: 1 1/2 hour

Yield: About 4 servings

• 2 medium potatoes, cut into cubes
  • 1 1/2 flowers cauliflower, cut
  • 4 medium carrots, cut into rounds
  • water as needed
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery
  • 3/4 stick butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 slices cooked ham or 1/2 cup of bacon bits
  • seasoning to taste

1. Peel and cut two medium potatoes into cubes. I add the potatoes with enough water to cover. Bring to boil. Cook until almost tender, and set aside.
  2. Cut cauliflower. Add to pot with enough water to cover and bring to boil. Cook until almost tender. Add to potatoes.
  3. Cut carrots into rounds (I did wash and scrape my carrots before cooking and cut the top and bottom off). Repeat the process in the pot with enough water to cover and bring to boil.
  4. Ad

5. Transfer all three ingredients to a large pot, do not drain water. Turn down the heat and allow to simmer, while you prepare the other ingredients.
  6. Dice onion and celery into small chunks and add to vegetable mixture.
  7. Ad

8. Cut ham into pieces and add to mixture. You can add bacon bits (I will add both if I have them on hand).
  9. Add seasoning to mixture. I do not add salt or pepper until I add the gravy mix.
  10. Ad

11. Start my gravy by melting 3/4 a stick of butter or margarine to a sauce pan on medium heat.
  12. Add the flour to the melted margarine until it resembles a paste. If you want a darker mix, continue to stir the mix over a low to medium heat until the right color (continue to stir, not letting the mix burn). I like the lighter color. I add the mix to the waiting vegetable, a little bit at a time. I use a whisk which helps break up any lumps.
  13. Ad

14. After I have combined both mixes, I add salt and pepper to taste. Depending on how much flour you use, you can add water if the gravy is too thick. This will last me about 2 to 3 days.

Your recipe sounds delicious. As a former Home Economics teacher, and concerned about heart disease being the #1 killer in the U.S., I have a healthy tip. Instead of using the butter, you can put 2 cups of milk in a quart jar, add 4 tablespoons of plain flour, cover and shake well. This thickens soups and also is the base for a healthy gravy, too.