Preparing for a Doctor's Visit

It is time to see your doctor; to make the most of your appointment you can take some steps to prepare before you go. This is a guide about preparing for a doctor's visit.

Before your doctors appointment, be prepared by:

• Writing your appointment down on your calendar or journal. Specify any requests needed to be done before the appointment like fasting, or removing jewelry for specific appointments. Be sure to have the address, phone number or research location if it's a new facility or location you never been to. I like to always Google Map a day prior so I have an idea of how long the route will be and be familiar with the area.

• Bring some spare dollar bills because usually parking at the hospital, doctors office takes a small fee and cash is only allowed.

• Wear comfortable or loose fitting clothes just in case you need to have your blood drawn. I like to wear a short sleeve so they can draw blood easier.

• I write all my medicine that I am currently taking down on a note card so when I'm asked, I will have it with me. I also write down any concerns I have so I can remember to ask my doctor.

I find that when I go the doctor, I always forget to tell the doctor about all the medical problem problems that I am having. Here is my solution. I write down a list of problems (if I have dates and frequency that is even better), and then hand the list to the doctor. That way I am covered, and I can have all my problems taken care of.

By Georgetta R. from Watrloo, IA

After many trips to the ER, I decided to use my Microsoft Word and memory from my visits and put them to good use. I put my name, address, insurance info, next of kin, as much medical info about my health, allergies, doctors names, driver's license, SSN, etc, and listed all my medications and dosages. When I have an emergency, I print it out, keeping it updated, and take it with me. Also, I print a copy to take to the doctors offices so they know what my other doctors are prescribing.

I have had doctors and ER tell me they appreciate it and wish more people would do this. Of course, some don't want to read but if you can't remember at the time, this is very helpful. It also is appreciated when I tell them they can keep the copy to put in my file.

By Linda from Arlington, Texas

Get a regular journal or spiral notebook, and make a medical journal out of it. Write down any of the past sicknesses in the family and bring it with you when going to the doctor's. Not only will you have the family history but you can also write down exactly what the doctor says, what medications you need to have, etc. Then if for some reason you can't give the information yourself, the book has all the information.

By Donna Rae from Elkhorn, WI

At the time of a doctor's appointment, a patient is required to inform the doctor of all medications taken on a daily basis. In order to document that vital health information, a person can take a photo of medication bottles on your cell phone, including all supplements, over the counter medications. On request from the nurse or doctor, the photos could be shown and medications recorded on medical records.

When taking photos of medication bottles, zoom in on prescription label to insure correct name and dose of RX, and patient's name. A memo recorded in your cell phone of this information is helpful also.

I am going for a check up with the doctor. It is a general checkup and I would like to know what it involves. I am feeling scared and I am a forty eight year old woman.

Little Princess from Toronto, Canada

Answers

Call your doctors office you are going to, and ask to speak to your doctor's nurse. Ask her that same question. She can tell you that answer.

First his nurse will weigh you, then make you pp in a cup. She will take your blood pressure, and pulse, and ask you a bunch of questions. Then you get naked and put on a gown. Dr. comes in, starts with your eyes, ears, nose and mouth, looking around. Feels your neck, glands, pecks you on the chest and back, listens to your heart and lungs. Then he will do a breast exam. Mash around on your abdomen, and then the most fun of all, the pelvic and rectal exam. That's all, not fun, but necessary. Good luck. Hope he finds you AOK!

I would add to Ima's post that you might very well have a blood test and maybe a chest x-ray. It's all really not a big deal. Just tell yourself he sees so many people he'll never remember you after he writes you up in his chart.

Congratulations on taking the first step to better health. Please let your doctor and nurse know of your anxiety. They can take extra care in explaining what is going to happen. Take a book to read, I-pod to listen to to keep you occupied in waiting room and exam room.

Ask if you can place your hand lightly on top of the docs as he presses on your tummy. It lesses the "where is he going to touch me next anxiety" and allows for a better exam. Take a friend to hold your hand or husband or whatever. Not going to the doctor is a lot worse. It only lasts a few minutes (time it!)

Make a list of any questions or concerns you have BEFORE you go--that way, in your anxiety you will not forget anything important! Good luck-you will do great!

I agree with the person who advised you to phone the doctor[s office to ask what to expect. My doctor doesnt do the things others have said. Of course, I have been going to her for years. Your first visit will more than likely be one in which the doctor collects information about your prior health. That is to say, its paperwork. Then, the doctor will take your blood pressure, look in your eyes, ears, and nose. Then she will listen to your heart. She may ask you to lie down. She touches your stomach and perhaps your breasts, but this doesnt hurt at all. Also, she touches your neck to see if you have swollen glands or something wrong with your thyroid. Dont worry about this. It is VERY easy. I have a fear of people in lab coats. So if you are anxious or hesitant, I can sure appreciate what you are going through. (My blood pressure spikes... lol) Oh, I almost forgot. You will be weighed. Weighing seems to be a penchant for all doctors no matter what they are checking... rofl... Take your coat off and set your purse on a chair. I've never been weighed naked so I wear lightweight clothing. I care. Good luck.

i work at a family practice drs office. first i weigh the patient, then i take temp in ear, blood pressure and pulse. all the while i am chatting with the patient-as i like people and am not shy about talking. some of my coworkers dont like to talk so they dont. i usually ask what the problem is and sometimes they will tell me they are sick and with what. other times people just say they are here for a check up. our drs are very old school and down to earth. our office has a great reputation all over the state-really.
yes i would call the office and ask what to expect. i only have the patient put on a gown when the dr says to not before. if you have a caring dr they dont want to hurt you, but sometimes things are done to test and they might be uncomfortable or painful.

hope it goes well.

I care too. Please let us know how it went for you. I'm glad you're doing this sensible smart thing.