Being a Good Patient at the Doctor's Office

Don't waste your time or the doctor's time by being unprepared. This is a guide about being a good patient at the doctor's office.

I work in a doctor's office and I see some big time-wasters caused by patients that I would like to pass on to you.

By Sandy

By SNIGDIBBLY (Guest Post)
Top Comment

1. Please ask the doctor and his staff not to over book his calendar. Not everyone requires 15 minutes or less.

2. Please ask all the staff at the clinic to address their patients in a professional manner as mr. Or mrs. Doe. Please do not use first names unless you are a personal friend who has known the patient since kindergarden.

3. Please read the patient notes in your office files before seeing the patient to refresh your memory and avoid unnecessary questions and this will cut out a lot of time during the office interview period.

4. Treat patients with dignity and respect and don't rush them because the calendar is over booked - the doctor patient relationship is interpersonal as well as professional. Trust is the most important factor in this relationship.

Top Comment

I agree with this article. So, I do not mean to sound bad, but can we add a few things for staff, too?When a patient enters the office and approaches the window to sign in, or to ask a question, please do not ignore us. Do not continue to talk to your coworkers about what you did/had for dinner/went to/etc.

If you want a patient to be NPO, please tell us when we make the appointment. Please make sure there are such items as toilet paper, soap, and paper towels in the restroom. Especially if you want a urine sample.

Please don't call patients Honey/Baby/Toots, etc. If you cannot recall my name Ma'am would be more respectable.

Please do not chomp on gum while taking my blood pressure, etc.

So many patients have respiratory problems. Please do not spray so much strong cologne on.

Top Comment

While lots can be done by both sides to make life easier for everyone, remember, it is a medical facility. There will be routine, unexpected medical emergencies and problems with equipment. Rushing through can cause mistakes to be made and ultimately a life. Not all emergencies actually look like emergencies, so individuals will go to the doctor's office rather than a hospital, and it is imperative that they be dealt with.

And yes, emergencies happen in offices where you wouldn't expect them to, procedures can take more time than they normally would, complications turn up. It is impossible to account for everything.

I can't imagine working in a doctors office. I think I would lose my mind! I had a friend that was a medical receptionist and the stories she would tell!