House PlantsGardening

Propagating a Dieffenbachia Plant

Can I take a cutting from the cane to start a dieffenbachia (dumb cane) plant? or do I have to air layer it? I received this plant when our late son was injured 13 years ago. It has been divided; I have one tall plant left and I need to do something with it. It has a very full plant at the top and another at the bottom of the cane. Help!

By Carol Z. from La Verne, CA

You can cut it off and put the end in water to root. I have don't this several times and it roots pretty well.

I know a woman that has one and she starts them one after another. She takes a cutting and puts it in damp soil. Or just thins the one out as it spreads. But I must say this adult plant she only waters about once a month. Very filtered light. In fact she puts hers on top of the fridge. The light is off and on during the day as there are four people that live there. It spreads like crazy in the pot. You may noticed the ones that are over watered tend to not do well. When there over watered the top leaves turn yellow and have to be removed. Then a new leaf comes on. This is a sign of root rot. Eventually the roots will be done for.

Can I cut this one and root the cuttings?