Protecting Hummingbird Feeders

I have been reading about a variety of ideas for keeping ants, etc., out of hummingbird feeders. I have cared for hummingbirds for over 30 years and I've tried just about everything out there.

I have two of the very largest Perky Pet Hummingbird feeders made. Each year we end up with between 20 to 30 hummingbirds. The best things we've done is to hang the feeders from the eaves of the house with a pully that allows me to raise and lower the feeders to change their feed, which is at least once a day in each. To get to the wire that the feeders hang from, first the ants have to climb across our brick wall and up the drain spout to get to the point from which the feeders hang. From there, they can climb down. But I beat them to the punch by dusting the wall and the drain spout with Sevin Dust. I don't like killing the ants, but they seem to get the point after a while and don't bother the feeders anymore after that.

Flying insects, especially wasps, are a different matter. Since one of my feeders hangs in front of my kitchen window, I have a good view of them. As soon as I see one buzzing around the feeder, I go outside with a flyswatter.

Keep all sorts of poisons, and other deterents, like oils, etc., away from the feeders and their hangers. My birds perch on the lines, as well as the cord the hangers hang from while waiting their turn to the feeders. Anything they pick up on their little feet can easly wind up in their beaks, or be carried back to the little ones in the nests.

As far as ants go, and they do, I have my feeder hanging on a
Shepherd's hook. My husband wrapped a piece of double-sided tape around the pole and the ants are not able to cross it.

Use a little vaseline, in place of the tape, it works great

My granny put a big glob of Vaseline on the wire holding her feeder no ants can crawl thru it works prefect

Vaseline isn't good to use around hummers because it can get on their feathers & affect their ability to fly.

Anonymous

Spray pole or chain with cooking spray ants won't crawl through it

I have kept bees and wasps away from the hummer feeders for years by applying mint extract from the cooking section at the local grocer. I dip a Qtip in the flavoring and dab it around the feeder port's bottoms, when the feeder comes apart for cleaning and on the ports of the feeders as well. This seems to do the trick and lasts during rains. For the ants and other creepy crawlers, I use the right side up ant moats filled with water.

Actually the death rate of honeybees is such that you should be feeding bees more than humingbirds. 80% of the plants we eat depend on pollination by bees to survive. How about multiplying the feeders or hanging fruits for bees and wasps, like pears or apples or other juicy fruits and most of all planting flowers that bees love and of course stop using pesticides. Be informed of the situation of the bees here :

https://www.the … ongterm-survival
and learn to help pollinators here : http://millionp … atorgardens.org/
Hummingbird is good for your eyes, bees are good for your health, there is no reason to chose between the two, they can live together and you can help them.

Hope this help the bees !