MiscellaneousCollectibles

Protecting a Cast Iron Stove from Rust

I have an old iron stove. It comes from a church and is very ornate and stands about 4 feet high, has four legs and takes up loads of room. I am wondering if I could put it outside without too much damage. What would I have to do to protect it from rusting.

Actually I would really like to sell it, but that is another story.

By Joan F.

Lightly with a dry metal bristle brush go over the rusty places and immediately wipe off with a dry cloth. You can then paint the stove with Rustoleum paint that keeps it from rusting further if you do not plan on using it, but putting it on display as a conversation/keepsake item. If you do plan on using the stove, brush rust off lightly, wipe clean with dry cloth and get a bottle of stove polish and apply liberally all over the stove. It will look like new again and must be reapplied as the polish gets worn. Putting the stove outdoors where moisture can get to it will only make it rust more even with stove polish applied.

If you plan on selling the stove; someone else may need it to be of service, so I would not paint it, but clean well and apply stove polish over it. You can post your stove as a for sale item on craigslist.org for free and as a pick up only. Add a photo and price desired and see what "hits" the ad brings.

If you put it outside, it will rust. If you do not want it and do not have room for it, sell it before it gets ruined.

Please donot do the rustoleum paint. It will ruin it!

Now for the practical side of it, Ospho is a liquid derust and is fairly cheap. Auto parts stores sell it and hardware stores also. Put a qt. sprayer on top of the quart bottle it comes in and spray the whole thing. When the rust is dead it will look mostly gray looking. Wipe it down with a rag and use stove blacking from hardware stores that sell cast iron etc. Don't put it outside but in a shed and cover it good to keep the moisture from it. Cardboard box will help with that. Advertise it in your local paper or check with antique dealers, don't take what they offer you because they will cheat you and laugh. But will give you a good idea of what it is worth.

Anonymous

I have a professional stove with cast iron trivots to cook on. The trivots are rusted. How can I clean them?