AdviceDogs

Puppy Urinates for Just About Everything

I have a 8 month old Lab/Boxer female dog. Anytime we come home, she urinates. You tell her to sit or lay down, she urinates, even at feeding time. She urinates when she is in trouble, or when she sees someone she doesn't know. She just lets loose in the house.

I have tried everything. I take her outside several times a day, and most days she just stays outside because the weather is nice. She knows when she has to go outside, she barks when she needs to go, but if she gets into the trash, or chews something up, and myself or my husband try to consequence her for it, she pees! What can I do to stop this? I love this puppy, but I am thinking outside permanently is where she belongs!

By Deborah S.

Some female puppies do this a lot, some more than others. All of mine have done this as puppies. The good news is that most outgrow it. Just give it some more time. She is still a young puppy. They get excited or upset and it just flows but they learn to hold it as they mature.

Leash your puppy, and have someone hold it. Then let her mosey, and follow her around with a pie pan. Catch a urine specimen, and pour it into a clean, disposable container. Take it to the vet, and tell them what is going on. She may have a bladder infection, and in that case, she can't help it. If not, then you need to housebreak her. Confine her when you can't watch, and take her out regularly. Praise for correct elimination. Don't punish mistakes.

This is submissive urination. It is common in female puppies. It usually goes away. On the plus side, it means she recognizes your authority. She will be a good dog.