CasserolesRecipes

Recipe Using Carnation Instant Mashed Potatoes

Does anyone remember a recipe that was on the box of Carnation instant mashed potatoes back in the late 70s or early 80s? Some ingredients were hamburg, Carnation evaporated milk, Carnation mashed potatoes, tomato paste, and bread crumbs. It was delicious. I made it all the time back then, but my memory is fading. I would appreciate the help if anyone knows the recipe.

Thank you.

I cant find it, but here is the website and you can contact them. www.carnation.co.uk/.../Carnation-Mashed-Potato

I think its a meatloaf recipe.

When I was very young, my mom made something she called shepherd's pie that sounds like what you are describing. This seems to be the current version of it....with fresh potatoes (you could just use instant and follow the package for them).

www.carnationmilk.ca/.../Carnation-Shepherds-Pie

You may be able to find the exact receipe doing a Google Images search for Carnation Recipes from those years. Sadly, the print for me is too small to read when I do this...but younger eyes may be able to see it better :)

While searching for an answer to your question, I found a potato topped meatloaf recipe. It has Carnation Evaporated milk and instant potatoes in it. Hopefully this is what you're looking for.

www.recipelink.com/.../47677.html

Sorry to disappoint you but there is no record that Carnation ever produced instant potatoes so, if the recipe was on the back of a BOX then it had to have been made by another company.

• French's was the popular brand but not real sure about dates of other companies start with instant mashed potatoes.
  • There are some recipes using instant mashed potatoes and Carnation evaporated milk but most of the recipes like this call for "real" potatoes.
  • It is possible a recipe was on a can of Carnation milk but cannot find any evidence of this as the company pushed their product for use in baking mostly.
  • Contacting Carnation may be a waste of time as they do not appear to have an archive of older recipes but you might give them a call and ask for a recipe such as you describe.
  • Ad

• Their offices are in Canada.
  • 1-800-268-3232
  • I have several old Carnation recipe booklets and there is no recipe like this in any of these.
  • I could not find any recipe even similar to your description as almost all instant potato recipes were as toppings but I feel sure there is one floating around somewhere.
  • If this is a passion with you, I would suggest you ask your question on several food forums as these get a lot of coverage and just may find someone who remembers.
  • Here is one link to get you started:
  • frugalsos.com/.../
  • food52.com/foodpickle?utm_source=cj&affil...

Your ingredients sound interesting so let us know if you find the recipe - Good luck and Bon Appétit.