Recipe for Hummus Without Tahini

Any hummus recipes without tahini? I have a lot of garbanzo beans I need to use up. Any other recipes using garbanzo beans would be good too.

I don't want to buy anything special since I am moving soon and don't want extra ingredients to pack.

By min (Guest Post)
Top Comment

I love hummus but not tahinni; so I just make it without. Olive oil, garlic, lemon, whatever seasonings you like.

By shirley (Guest Post)

I have made this may times without tahini in a food processor. The mix, very simple, onions, salt, garlic, a little lemon juice. Save juice from garbanzo beans to thin as needed. There are many versions of hummus. I make mine thick to use as a spread for bread. Since tahini is only sesame seeds you can add a few sesames seeds.

By Nance (Guest Post)

You could try subbing a bit of peanut butter. or if you have almonds (even better), processing them into almond butter and using it.

I have a recipe for garbanzo bean cake that tastes like chocolate torte, but sorry, I'm not at home to get it. I think it was in Parade (Sunday) magazine about 9 years ago.

Just make the recipe without the Tahini.
I usually do.
if you want to add somehting to enhance the consistancy, I might skip peanut butter as it's flavour is stronger than tahini's, but some other lightger-flavoured nut butter night work instead.

By Clarann (Guest Post)

Hi,
I found this one and also a link showing one with red peppers. Here you go...
Hummus without Tahini
Prep Time: 10 minutes
1 can garbanzo beans/chickepeas
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cumin

Preparation:
In a food processor, blend all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.

Serve immediately with pita bread, pita chips, or veggies.

Store in a airtight container for up to three days. mideastfood.about.com/.../hummustahini.htm also: video.about.com/.../Hummus.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Good Luck!Cg

Thank you everyone so MUCH. These recipes sound great, and easy with ingredients I own! I wish I could contact you but you didn't SIGN IN! So I hope you read this! Thanks a million! You are so helpful. Thanks for helping me feed my family. Sometimes I look at what we have and I blank. whats for dinner? Uh I dunno let me see.

Thanks again ;-)

By Hearts1 (Guest Post)

I have to go on a Gluten free diet. I need some guidance as far as what I cannot eat, and some recipes to make.

Thank you for your feedback and assistance!

Hearts1

Hello ! I used to have problems with gluten specially tireness and terrible stomac burns to the point of waking up suffocating at night. At that point I began to be careful with what I was eating. I discovered that by avoiding any sort of cheap bread, which in fact means cheap low quality flour my problem quickly disapeared. I first stopped eating any kind of bread at all or anything including flour, specially avoiding breaded meat or breaded fish. The tireness went first then I began drinking diluted pure lemon juice (1 fourth of lemon juice for 3 fourth of water) all day instead of water, I did this for a week and my stomac burnings went. Now I do not have anymore problems with gluten and I can even have bread as long as I buy very good quality made from bio flours and bio cereals and natural yeast I buy it in bakeries and not in drugstores.

It is more expensive but I buy less because I eat less. The bread available in drugstore is nothing but cheap flour and a lot of air, good quality bread is heavy and dense so in the end you buy less.

Intolerance of gluten is a fairly new problem. In my opinion something has been changed in the flour production or industrial process. For example the colour of flour has changed it did not used to be so white and when making cakes you had to slowly mix flour with others ingredients to avoid lumps, nowdays whatever ways you mix flour slowly or not there are no more lumps. So I decided I would not go on a gluten free diet but I would be more careful by eating less, having less industrial processed food if not none at all and buying better quality and it works !

Hope this helps !

Avocado can replace Tahini just like in guacamole.

You can also make garbanzo flour with your extra garbanzo beans. There are plenty of recipes you can make with garbanzo flour like dumplings with all sorts of vegetables, onions, corn. Sometimes in the restaurants hummus is made from garbanzo flour and not garbanzo beans.

Bon appétit !

Some people substitute peanut butter with good results.

Food and Recipes Recipes Dips & SpreadsSeptember 9, 2008
🌻
🎂
📓