BusinessBusiness and Legal

Recognizing the Contributions of Volunteers

I volunteer for a non profit organization and few months a go I was named committee chair and my job was to contact people and bring volunteers to a special event that the organization was holding. I worked hard and so did the volunteers that I had recruited. We attended meetings and did everything that was asked of us. We went above and beyond to make the event a success and the event was very very successful, beyond our wildest imagination. It was a great event.

At the event , a lot of people were recognized for their hard work and we were not, this was in Nov. 2018. Two days ago the organization had a event and a lot of corporate sponsors were recognized and acknowledged, but we were not. I think we should have been recognized and acknowledged for our hard work. What do you think? Should I say something and stand up for the volunteers I recruited?

I would definitely say something. I have a friend in your position and her organization has a dinner in a beautiful place every May for the volunteers. They also get a favor to take home.

YES you should speak up, and tell them specifically what type of recognition you want. Letters of thanks from the higher-ups that cite the diligence and quality of the work, small plaques, personal introduction at the next event, a gift card, are some examples.

Go get that! :-)

I've been in this situation, on the other end

I've worked for a non profit and we were organizing a silent auction and needed volunteers to organize the event and of course donations

it fell to me to do the social media/newsletter but not to me to actually interact with who did what; I received a list from another person in my organization and trusted it was correct

after putting out the public 'thank you's', wistful little messages started coming into my inbox from someone who was like "BTW I donated something too..."

I had no choice but to, every time I got a message like this, send out a special announcement to everyone "oh yes and thank you to Jane Smith as well for the lovely...."

so my point is

1. 95% sure it was a classic one hand not talking to the other situation. Probably the people in charge of processing the volunteers and the person in charge of doing the social media/PR are not the same people and some snafu made it that yall were overlooked

2. the ppl I was involved with did way less than you seemed to, and they had absolutely no problem emailing us and saying 'what about me?'

3. it is legitmate to seek recognition because for some circumstances it is benficial, for tax or other purposes, for your work to be recognized

so I would say go for it

I would definitely say something. The volunteers you recruited and you need at least a "Thank you for all your hard work." It is hard to get people to continue to volunteer for something if they don't even get a Thank you.