AlterationsClothing

Reconstructed Belt on a Budget

Vote for this contest contender!

Do not hesitate to purchase a belt if it's too big, it is fixable (if the belt has screws)! I purchased this belt for my fiancé for 90% off at Kohl's for only $2.80, originally $28. The belt is a size 42 and the belt size that best fits him is not a 42. You are able to customize the belt to the desired waist/belt size. I did that for him taking it down to a 35. With a few tools you may already have at home, you can have yourself a brand new belt for less!

Total Time: 15-25 minutes

Yield: 1 belt

1. Unscrew the belt. Detach the buckle from the belt strap.
  2. Using a measuring tape measure out desire waist length, for me - I am going to measure 35 inches and make a line with my pen. Using my knife and ruler cut a straight line.
  3. Now you need to trace the old template of the belt to screw back in. Trace the template to your new belt. For the holes, you can put your belt strap in the buckle and mark the hole where you will punch out.
  4. Using the knife to cut out the square and the punch and hammer to punch the holes on the belt.
  5. Now you are ready to put the screws back in.
  6. Your belt is now complete.
  7. Ad

That is a great idea. I see belts at thrift stores all the time that are too big. I will use this tip for sure.

You are welcome. I'm glad to hear this was a useful tip for you.