Reducing Sugar in a Baking Recipe

When reducing sugar in a baking recipe, does anyone know how much sugar can safely be reduced before it ruins the recipe - 50%-75%?

Nicky from Canada

Answers:

Reducing Sugar in a Baking Recipe

In my family, we always use only half the sugar called for in the recipe. I'ts not as sweet, but you get used to the taste. (02/13/2006)

By Carol

Reducing Sugar in a Baking Recipe

It depends on the recipe. Sometimes the amount of sugar is important. (02/13/2006)

By mkymlp

Reducing Sugar in a Baking Recipe

I have read that one can reduce sugar in any recipe by 1/2 cup without spoiling the taste. (02/13/2006)

By SYLVIA

Reducing Sugar in a Baking Recipe

I normally reduce the amount of sugar by 25%. Haven't had a problem. If the recipe calls for something like
2 Tablespoons of sugar and it's a diabetic muffin recipe, then I wouldn't change the sugar quantity because it's already been reduced substantially. (02/15/2006)

By cookwie

Reducing Sugar in a Baking Recipe

The texture of some recipes is dependent upon the sugar in the recipe. Lemon Bars is one that I had a disaster with. It definitely needed the sugar. But if it not important for texture...and I guess only trial and error like my lemon bars is the only way to be sure. Otherwise, I replace the sugar with Splenda rather than reduce the amount. You can replace the sugar with a like amount of Splenda to replace half a cup of sugar, use half a cup of Splenda. If you think you might need the sugar for texture, only replace half of the total amount. In other words, if it calls for a cup, put half a cup of sugar and half a cup of Splenda. But, I repeat, my way is strictly trial and error. By the way, Yeast breads need that couple spoons of sugar so the yeast will "grow".

(02/15/2006)

By Harlean from Arkansas