Reducing the Appearance of Large Pores

Large pores on your face can be worrisome. This is a guide about reducing the appearance of large pores.

If you have large pores applying makeup can be a challenge at times. This is a guide about makeup for large pores.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I would like to know how I control large pores and blackheads. I have tried many products and none seem to work! i don't have a lot of money and hate wasting it on products that don't work.

Julie Capone from Watertown, NY

Answers

Retin-A is the only thing I've found that works. You get it by prescription from your doctor for this purpose. Large pores with blackheads is a sign of adult acne. It is heriditery. If you scrub the area more, it will only make your skin product more oil and thus more clogged pores.. If possible, visit a dermatologist.
Best wishes

I've had problems with blackheads, most of my life till recent months. I started using Pond's Exfoliating Clean Sweep Cucumber Cleansing Towelettes. I've noticed a big difference in my facial problem areas. This one's a keeper!!

this works for acne i spent a lot of money on my sons face with no cure, then we read in
Dear Abby one day and a answered pray was there.... mix up on raw egg every night apply to face and let dry then wash off. might get a little worse at first few days then clearer and clearer as face gets better can cut back to less frequet use every week but is really really works and i do not know why or how. It is a thing from INDIA. lots o luck

I think the Biore Pore strips work very well. The blackheads will return, but if you do it once a week or so, you can maybe keep them at bay. I use plain baking soda each time I wash my face as a frugal, mild and super-effective scrub. Just mix a good amount of it with your soap so it's gritty. Apply some pressure, but don't go nuts with rubbing. I had some under-the-skin whiteheads that no amount of acne cream would eliminate (sorry to gross you out!) After about a week of using the baking soda, they dried up and literally "fell out." I also swear by the blue Clean and Clear oil blotting sheets. Used a couple of times a day, you won't believe how they freshen your face. Keeping my skin as oil free as I can makes my pores appear to be smaller. If you use a moisturizer, stop. Your skin is already oily and you don't need it, no matter what any cosmetic sales person may tell you. Your skin won't produce more oil by keeping it squeaky clean. That's a wives taie.

I use an Avon product called pore-fection cleanser. It has helped me.

I've been using Bath and Body Works Pore Refining Face Mask once a week for a few weeks now, and I cannot believe the improvement that I've seen already. I know it's a bit overpriced, but if you can catch it on sale like I did, it's well worth it. I also bought the Oil Control Face Moisturizer which I use daily after I wash with Clean & Clear Daily Pore Cleanser. It doesn't make my face greasy like every other moisturizer has done. I'm very happy with the products, I only wish I had bough more while they were on sale!

I have had good luck with witch hazel for my large pores. I wipe it on with a cotton ball at night. It is not expensive, and it has worked well for me.

im 13 and i have blackheads on my nose that are under pimples it seems everyday more and more blackheads come what do i do(

i get read of blackheads every day ,and they come back as fast as i get read of them. what can i do about it?

Retin-A works for me very well. You can get it by prescription

For large pores you can use baking power in your face and then wash this will work out and effect you. Second is you can use malacare tube for your face. But remember don't use facila after that

If you are very young with blackheads - my advice would be to clean your skin with a very mild, sensitive foaming cleanser and rinse off with lots and lots of water - then do nothing else - no make-up, no face cream, maybe just tone with neat witchazel. 2 Or 3 times a week use a scrub of oatmeal made into a paste with water, worked in small curcular motions and rinsed off well.

Don't be tempted to keep washing your face as this will just make your skin greasier as will using harsh cleansers made specifically for acne - it actually activates the sebaceous glands into over compensating and producing more sebum. The best thing you can do is to make sure your keep your hair clean and off your face, change your pillow cases often, avoid touching your face, drink 2 liters of water each day - cut out sugar, and crappy junk food - eat your 5-a-day fruit and veg and go to your doctor and get some antibiotics specifically for treating acne.

For older women with open pores and blackheads but otherwise stable skin - use toothpaste as a face pack - toothpaste is also good for drying up spots. Use the cheap, basic type of toothpaste. And get a little bit of sunshine without any screen - not being baked in the sun, but 20 minutes outside each day. Nothing dries up greasy skin better than sunshine.
Regards borasic lint

It always seems like when I try a new product to control my large pores and blackheads, the product works for a week or two, but then my skin goes back to looking shabby again. I've spent lots of money on all the latest products, but they all end up having the same effect on my skin. I've been struggling with acne since middle school, and at 23, I feel like my acne phase should be over. I just don't know what to try anymore.

you can buy Retin-A or tretinoin (same thing) online without a prescription - i did. try get a generic version they're cheaper. I bought stieva-a for about £16 ($30) but it depends on the % u pick. you should use it regular, in small amounts, it thins your skin. try starting at a low % and work your way up if needed. It also can make your skin sensitive to the sun so use sun cream etc if you can. btw when you first use it, it might make things worse but stick with it.

I would also say try taking some vitamins and eating properly. retina-A (tretinoin) is a derivative of vitamin A, try eating some of them :D and drinking more water

I'm about 13 now and i have major blackheads and a few pimples, and just yesterday i was searching through the internet, looking for something that can help my blackheads,pimples, and pores. Then I heard that if you mix baking soda and water, put it on your face, it will get rid of it all. I finally used it today and honestly my skin feels great. All you have to do is mix baking soda with water (make it into paste) leave it for as long as you wish, then wash your face with water until all of the baking soda is off.

After i tried it the first time , my face felt fresh, no oil was left, and I saw that already some of my pimples and blackheads were shrinking. I was amazed! You gotta try it! Also for whiter teeth try mixing water with backing soda mixed with your tooth paste, when you brush your teeth!

How can I minimize my pores on my face?

By meggeiboo17 from Killeen, TX

Answers

Wow, thanks for all of the great ideas! I hesitate to say what I've been using. My huge pores are no longer clogged, but they're not going anywhere of their own volition either! After scarring the bridge of my nose, I discovered that applying some OTC scar diminishing creme (from any drugstore) helps quite a bit to minimize the pores on my nose, but I do see a lot of other ideas which are intriguing!

I have large pores, too. It totally depends upon age, diet, vitamins, sun exposure, and methods of skin cleansing, not to mention belief as to what causes it. As a cosmetologist/hairdresser, remember first that there is natural skin oil containing good protective bacteria which are delicate, easily destroyed by heat, chemicals, and scrubbing.

Keeping this in mind, one of the first secrets is to keep the face naturally clear of other bacteria, from hands, dirty linens/ cloths, dust off chairs/ throw pillow, boyfriends' hands, clothing, poor laundry detergent, over washing, and over scrubbing with soaps of any sort, but most especially with stronger soap-type cleaners.

If you are young, you may unconsciously lean on your elbow and support your head with your hand. If in the heat, sweating a lot, unconsciously wipe the sweat, dust, and bacteria into the pores. Since heat causes things to expand, and cold causes things to contract, that needs to be considered into the equation and solution, each one different for each person.

Rx or over the counter meds are another factor. Habits like riding a motorcycle can cause pores to collect dust and get larger.

One of the worst chemicals one can use on large pores is mineral oil, straight or in the ingredients of cheap makeup.
It is a known pore expander,dust collector, and offender for large pores.

My routine goes like this: keep hands clean at all times, but with gentle bar-soap or dish detergent for sensitive skin,( i can only find it at fiesta grocery market in sunlight brand, is creamy white and very mild, but works.)

I change linens faithfully each week to keep dirt away from my face. I never touch my face with anything that has not just been washed. All makeup must be minimal, liquid, and not cheap, because I have most sensitive skin.

Fact: every face has a combination of skin types: large pores, tight pores, avg.Pores. Taking a shower will feel
good, but will force the pores to widen with hot water if the face it directly into the jets.

Cold wind will both close the pores and chap the combination skin. Use a face mask for very cold wind.

Never apply anything unknown to your face. Never scrub your face skin with anything, only rinse with mildly warm water, not a scrub or brush. Use the least amt. Of soap, chemical, make up possible. Avoid dusty places, homes, streets, and the beach, as well as remember to change your vacuum bag often and dust home often.

Do not use hot water or ice water on the face. It must always be lukewarm, and very clean. Try to buy a bundle of cheap white face cloths that can be bleached weekly. Store the cloths in a dust proof container.

Avoid getting hair spray on the face directly or in drifting. Use no witch hazel or alcohol. Try to find the scrub gloves for the body, buy several. Use only one for two months, for use on the face only, not neck or any other parts of the body. One time a week, use d r y glove to scrub the large pores gently, and the rest of the face even more gently, then rinse glove only with soap and water, dry and store in very clean place until next week's use.

Dollar general's "hair, skin, nails" vitamins help keep the large pores healthy, if the rest of the diet is fairly balanced with a little fat/oil eaten daily on toast, in veggies, along with a small amt. Of meat of any kind. Sugar should be kept at a minimum.

If you are taking rx meds, check with your doctor to see if they can cause skin problems since you have large pores. If you are not taking rx you should simply remember that any touch to the skin is traumatic to the skin. A n y!
I prefer Revlon liquid makeup, and a cream cheek color.
I use makeup only on the large pores as a protectant, and a little around my mouth. Revlon seems to work better and not make the pores larger.

[If you are middle age or older, get enough rest, eat a balanced diet with a little quality high cacao chocolate
bar and a cup of reg. Coffee each day, along with veggies, and good vitamins, minerals, and milk thistle for good elimination. Keep your mind and body active.]

In the mornings, gently rinse with lukewarm water only, and a clean face cloth e a c h day. Never use one twice without cleaning in laundry. Never use cloths for any other purpose, such as wiping counters or cleaning shoes, or as a rag. Hang all wet cloths on a clean surface to dry until laundry time.

If you develop a pimple, immediately put a tiny dab of liquid detergent on just the very spot. Let dry, do not rinse. Only one dab per day, unless it gets rinsed off at end of day. Add new one until pimple is dried up.

At night, rinse off the day's dust first, then blot well until totally dry before applying a simple protectant that has no mineral oil, to the large pores especially, as well as to the rest of the face. After using a cloth to remove
the small amt. Of makeup.

Sorry, no time to proof read. Must end now. God bless, and good luck. : )

I have very large pores (holes) on the nose and near the cheeks (bumps). I tried Eskinol Pore Minimizing toner and it works "well" for me, but it contains alcohol, so I'd like to skip that. I wanted to try Neutrogena alcohol free toner, but it's expensive and I searched and found that it does not get really good reviews (maybe it'll be just like water like my Celeteque hydration toner).
So now I want to try cheap, natural, drugstore alternatives.

Please help me!

God bless.

By Francine B.

I have a serious problem with my skin pores. My skin is dry, but still I have enlarged pores on my skin. Please suggest to me an effective way to control/reduce pore, because it looks really ugly.

By raii from Kathmandu, Nepal

Answers

After reading this article, I would look up homemade facial scrubs and exfoliaters. This was an interesting article. I would not refer to my face as ugly. Beauty is not on the outside. http://www.ehow  educe-pores.html

Here is one of my favorite holistic sites: Go to earthclinic.com and put large facial pores in the search bar for earth clinic..it is on the upper right hand side of the page. Good luck and blessings! :)

i use a 10%, up to a 50% solution of white vinegar & bottled water. Use it as an astringent. Works great. For dry skin get helped with essential fatty acids.

I'm 46 yrs old and have noticed I've got large pores on my face. I can't make it look smooth even with makeup. What can I do to make my face look and be smoother?

By Michelle D.

I have oily skin, I don't want to dry it out but what can I use to minimize my pores?

Dominique from New York

Answers:

Minimizing Pores

Is that Da City you live in? There are more products to minimize pores than rats in the subway in your city.

However, I recall the movie "Mommie Dearest", where Joan Crawford plunged her face into ice every morning after cleaning and before going to the studio and that really thick makeup. I remember my Mom doing the same thing. If you have an icemaker, maybe this would work for you.
(11/10/2006)

By the Oracle

Minimizing Pores

Hi, Dominique. I'm a firm believer in taking very good care of our skin and thus recommend a good quality toner. Please check with some of the "better" skin care lines: Mary Kay, Estee Lauder, etc.

That said, Oracle's simple recommendation of ice water is good. You might also enjoy an egg-white facial masque or an oatmeal masque.

Take care of that skin! Cheers,
(11/11/2006)

By Rose Anne

Minimizing Pores

Most folks have a "Combination" skin, both large and tight pores, on separate parts of their face and neck. Best advice is to NOT overdo with ANY product. EASY does it, and DO NOT USE ANYTHING WITH MINERAL OIL ! It is the biggest offender for producing larger pores, as most professional Cosmetologists know. Oil of Olay is OK for mostly tight pores, but not so good for oily skin. A good multi-vit/mineral along with Vit. E supplement is conducive to good skin. Don't EVER use bar soap of ANY kind on the face or neck, only mild liquid unscented body wash.

Neutragena, although more costly, is safer than most anything else. Watch the talc content in makeup and cheek blushes because it can clog also. Do NOT use HOT water, but rather tepid luke warm washes and rinses. Ice water is for skin in the VERY BEST condition to begin with. Also, blow dry your skin after blotting with a clean face towel to MAKE CERTAIN it is dry before adding ANY SORT of creams, moisturizers, etc., to minimize fungus growth beneath the coverings.

I prefer to use a dry hand "glove" scrubber once a week to the largest pore areas only, then wet it and use lightly on the tighter pore areas. When blow dried, one can apply a tiny dab of Neosporin with a clean toothpick tip, should there ever be a blemish. It seems to treat most every sort of blemish effectively.

I like to use non-oily makeup SPARINGLY, using a new toothpick for filling any tiny lines, and only using makeup around the nose and mouth areas, fading into the rest of the face, then brushing on blush lightly on the cheeks.

I use a lipliner then chapstick for lipgloss, giving it a very natural look which I enjoy and on which I am complimented frequently. Hope this helps? God bless you. : ) (11/12/2006)

By Lynda

Minimizing Pores

Actually, I also used to have oily skin and Vichy Normaderm is amazing, I always tell all my friends how my face got so smooth and defined yet they never go and buy the product because of the price. It's definitely worth it plus more. I started off with the face wash and now I have almost all the products under the normaderm name anyway. I highly recommend it. =) (11/12/2006)

By sunshinesweeti

Minimizing Pores

I have extremely oily skin my face. I have found that if I use a facial brush to clean my face both morning and night with a good cleanser, my pores are so much smaller. It also breaks out far less often too. I had nothing but problems using my hands or a washcloth. (11/12/2006)

By susanmajp

Minimizing Pores

A dermatologist once told me that facial skin is very delicate and not to scrub it. She told me to always use chemical peels as they do not injure the skin. (11/12/2006)

By cookwie

Minimizing Pores

Take 1 teaspoon of yeast and soak it into milk for 15 minutes and then apply it on your skin for 30 minutes. It will help to almost finish your pore problem, without drying your skin. Be sure that you use this remedy for at least 2 weeks daily, before going to bed. Do not use this in the morning it wont be that effective. Do not use warm water to wash your face. (01/08/2007)

By

Minimizing Pores

Use Biore Deep cleaning pore strips. Once per week or less on a clean face. Don't talk on the phone, drink, chew gum nor eat when using the strip. You want your face to be perfectly still. Occasionally smooth down the outside of the strip when wearing it. The strips need to make good skin contact. Available at probably most drug stores, Target, Wal-Mart... Sometimes the strip leaves a little gunk behind - just wash it off. The strips come in a box.(06/21/2007)

By cookwie

Minimizing Pores

I have huge pores on my nose and nothing worked. I used the nose sticky strips, scrubs, masks, peels; and they were all no use. The best thing I have used is toothpaste! Put it on like a face pack to the areas where the pores are most noticeable. Leave it until it has dried a little. Then, once you have rinsed it off completely, apply a thin coat of non perfumed hemorrhoid cream/jelly. Hemorrhoid cream is also good to apply all over your face and works in the same way as a firming face cream. Make sure to get non perfumed, LOL, because it has a very strong distinct aroma and you might give off the wrong messages, ha ha! (11/17/2007)

By Borasic Lint

Minimizing Pores

What about a microdermabrasion for your skin, does that help? Oprah says that she loves it. Do any of you guys know which microdermabrasion she uses because she says that it makes her pores very tight. (02/01/2008)

By Sharon

For large pores, make a paste of almond meal (from the health food store). Put it on your nose, chin, or wherever your pores are large. Let it dry and rinse with cold water. Follow with an ice cube rubbed on face and nose. This works. I sometime add a bit of alum to it. You can also scrub your face with the Almond meal. It draws as it drys. Then proceed with your makeup.

I also use lemon to bleach my freckles when they get too many. Stay out of the sun.

By Renett from Southern CA